Is WebYep the tool for me?

General discussions about WebYep
stinkykong

Is WebYep the tool for me?

Post by stinkykong » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:53 am

I have a client hosted on a Windows server, so can I install WebYep on my linux server (URL-A) that can change the content on the Windows server (URL-B)?

I want to have different permissions for different people in different pages on a single website as well as different elements on a certain page. Can that be managed with a single user license?

johannes
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: Is WebYep the tool for me?

Post by johannes » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:21 am

stinkykong wrote:I have a client hosted on a Windows server, so can I install WebYep on my linux server (URL-A) that can change the content on the Windows server (URL-B)?

No - WebYep can only change the content on the server it is installed on.

Due to frequent problems with PHP on this platform, Windows is no longer supported by WebYep. But that does not mean it cannot work. There are several customers using WebYep in Windows servers.

You mainly need to configure the access privileges to the webyep-system/data folder manually on Windows.

Sometimes the configuration of the Windows server needs to be made more "common" (so it acts like most other servers) - what that means depends on the actual problems that arise on the Windows server.

stinkykong wrote:I want to have different permissions for different people in different pages on a single website as well as different elements on a certain page. Can that be managed with a single user license?

The current version of WebYep (1.4.4) cannot do that. But the next medium release (1.5) will have multiple logins. This version is currently available as beta from: http://www.obdev.at/products/webyep/nightly.html

stinkykong

Post by stinkykong » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:34 pm

Thank you for you for that info. Do you know whether or not with the suggested configuration code...

$webyep_aMultiLoginCredentials[] = "someUser somePassword";
$webyep_aMultiLoginURLPatterns[] = "/somePage.php /someFolder/* aPageName.php";

... you could specify a tag such as a paragraph or even a style so that multiple items could be updated but not all items by a certain user. Perhaps it might look like...

$webyep_aMultiLoginCredentials[] = "someUser somePassword";
$webyep_aMultiLoginURLPatterns[] = "/somePage.php /someFolder/* aPageName.php/ class= "someUser";

...?

I have looked at CushyCMS which works on this principle somehow but neither as specialized or as easy to use as WebYep.

johannes
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by johannes » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:17 am

WebYep's multi user access control is solely page based.

You cannot allow a user to edit specific parts of page and deny editing access to others parts.

stinkykong

Post by stinkykong » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:32 pm

I am very impressed with WebYep. My client had to take care of elderly family and hasn't seen how it works as yet but I think they will be very happy.

I wondered about how specific a login for user could be and the thought of page elements was just an idea. I think we can work with what you currently offer.

Thanks for all your help.