Feature Request: Images as Menu Elements

General discussions about WebYep
twb716
Rank 1
Rank 1

Feature Request: Images as Menu Elements

Post by twb716 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:09 pm

I would love it if you could make Menu Elements represented with Images, rather than text. This would make CD/DVD discography pages incredibly easy to build and manipulate. Any idea on whether or not this is/will be available? Thanks for listening. :)

TB

johannes
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: Feature Request: Images as Menu Elements

Post by johannes » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:11 am

You can create a menu made of images by using the WebYep Loop Element and placing WebYep Image Elements inside that loop.

If you assign a link to a "details page" to that Image Element (in the web design app, not online as the editor), it will serve as a menu item.

Clicking the image then will jump to the details page and depending on which image (of which loop block) you clicked, the details page will have different content - just like with a Menu Element item.

twb716
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by twb716 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:35 pm

Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately, having to assign the destination page in the web design app defeats the whole idea of having an online CMS like WebYep :wink: I'd still like to request the ability to add images to Menu Elements. Thanks again for your reply.

johannes
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by johannes » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:17 pm

This is a misunderstanding.

That is the way the WebYep Menu works: All menu items usually point to the same page. But: That page has different content, depending on which menu item you clicked.

So in a sense, it is a different page for each menu item - as the page is what it's content is.

And that is exactly what happens with the loop/image construct I described - so it is an equivalent to a menu - just with images instead of text links.

twb716
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by twb716 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:59 pm

I see. Basically, you are using two things:

1) a LoopingElement as your "gallery" and
2) a MenuElement for your details

...and you would just link your gallery to the details page. So you always have to keep your MenuElement up to date with your GalleryElement, right?

How would it work if you wanted to keep the gallery images on the same page as the details that are displayed, the way that the MenuElement does? Is there a way to populate an iFrame or equivalent using specific code in the "link" area of an image in your gallery? Thanks for your patience- this is a pretty complicated issue.

TB

twb716
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by twb716 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:18 pm

Did it. You are a genius. Thanks!

johannes
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by johannes » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:46 pm

Glad to be of service :wink:

kralinator

Post by kralinator » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:57 pm

This sounds promising but I am a little confused - I have used a repeating element with an image, but I replicated 20 pages in advance so the user could link to them. I don't understand how you create the various 'contents' with the menu item but using a loop as the 'menu'…

johannes
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by johannes » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:57 pm

You should have placed a WebYep Image Element inside a Loop Element and have the URL of the target page assigned to the Image Element (in the web design app - not in WebYep's online editor)

When you now go to the page, login to WebYep, add a loop block and upload an image - which _exact_ URL does the image point to?