Character set problems - SOLVED!

General discussions about WebYep
biggy

Character set problems - SOLVED!

Post by biggy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:51 pm

Hello. I looked back at all the WebYep forum posts, but couldn't see anything about this.

I've used WebYep extensively on many sites now, and always took it for granted that it supports a smaller character set than I can use safely in my web app (RapidWeaver). So I've routinely stripped out bullet points, 'typographer's' quotes, em dashes etc from any text pasted into a Long Text editor (and advise my clients to do the same). Otherwise the resulting text becomes interspersed with question mark symbols on a black diamond background.

But it occurred to me - is that indeed standard behaviour? The real killer is that a British pound sign (£) used in the WebYep editor causes some sort of accented A character to appear on the edited page - and for a site I'm working on now, they're really needed.

Is there some parameter I can change somewhere to persuade WebYep to work with what I suppose is different character encoding? My hosting is Linux-based, Apache with cpanel, and otherwise apparently very fully featured and up to date.

Many thanks

Robin
Last edited by biggy on Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biggy

Re: Character set problems - SOLVED!

Post by biggy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:44 pm

In the end, there was a simple explanation - my fault, not WebYep's. There was no charset meta tag in the RW templates the sites were using. Now entered manually, set to utf-8, and working great. Sorry for the mix-up.