WebYep and TinyMCE from a newbie

General discussions about WebYep
Rita M

WebYep and TinyMCE from a newbie

Post by Rita M » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:46 pm

Okay, I've dug through the boards, the FAQ, and I still can't quite "get" it all. Please bear with me as I'm an intermediate HTML coder using Dreamweaver (I use it to edit code, not just the WYSIWYG design-view version!)

I'm trying to integrate TinyMCE with WebYep. I successfully set up and used WebYep, but I need RTF capabilities so the client editing the website can include bulleted and numbered lists, make things bold, add links, etc without having to know HTML.

I downloaded the files for TinyMCE and put them where they need to be, *according to the documentation for WebYep* which states:

>>"Download and extract the package archive (ZIP or TAR) an extract it. When extracting the TinyMCE package you should get a folder named "tinymce".... Place that folder into the "opt" subfolder of the webyep-system/program directory on the web server. The next time you open the Rich Text Editor Window in the browser, WebYep will use that WYSIWYG HTML editor."<<

These instructions make it sound as simple as download, extract, upload to the server, and you're good to go, but it's not working for me - I get no RTF controls for the editable content through the browser after logging in as an editor.

What the heck am I missing?! I've played with some of TineMCE.init code, but it seems just out of my grasp as an HTML-only programmer.

FYI I'm using Dreamweaver 8 on a Mac OS 10.4.11, testing in Firefox 3.0.5. Test server is a Mac XServer.

Thank you so much for reading this far!
-Rita

Max
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: WebYep and TinyMCE from a newbie

Post by Max » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:38 pm

Rita M wrote:Okay, I've dug through the boards, the FAQ, and I still can't quite "get" it all. Please bear with me as I'm an intermediate HTML coder using Dreamweaver (I use it to edit code, not just the WYSIWYG design-view version!)

I'm trying to integrate TinyMCE with WebYep. I successfully set up and used WebYep, but I need RTF capabilities so the client editing the website can include bulleted and numbered lists, make things bold, add links, etc without having to know HTML.

I downloaded the files for TinyMCE and put them where they need to be, *according to the documentation for WebYep* which states:

>>"Download and extract the package archive (ZIP or TAR) an extract it. When extracting the TinyMCE package you should get a folder named "tinymce".... Place that folder into the "opt" subfolder of the webyep-system/program directory on the web server. The next time you open the Rich Text Editor Window in the browser, WebYep will use that WYSIWYG HTML editor."<<

These instructions make it sound as simple as download, extract, upload to the server, and you're good to go, but it's not working for me - I get no RTF controls for the editable content through the browser after logging in as an editor.

What the heck am I missing?! I've played with some of TineMCE.init code, but it seems just out of my grasp as an HTML-only programmer.

FYI I'm using Dreamweaver 8 on a Mac OS 10.4.11, testing in Firefox 3.0.5. Test server is a Mac XServer.

Thank you so much for reading this far!
-Rita

Hi Rita

this is the order of what you need to do
download tinyMCE from here
http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/download.php
and click on the

tinymce_3_2_1_1.zip

This should now download the package
Once unziped it should give you a folder called
tinymce

now this folder needs to go into the opt folder which is within the program folder which is within the webyep-system folder

Now if you use a richtext webyep item in your document webyep should use the WYSIWYG editor.
If this doesn't work any chance we can see a webpage address

one thing that does make the editor dissapear is if you have any space with your folder structure for example if you have placed your site within a folder and that folder is named: my site if you do have spaces in yor naming convention then that can have the same effect "similar to your description" disappearing richtext

max

leshall

TINY MCE Hair PULLING

Post by leshall » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:09 am

MAX

I am having the exact same problem. When you download the ZIP file it extracts a folder called tinymce_3_2_2. Inside that are two folders - jscripts & examples and a file changelog.txt

So what do we use where?

Also what about the tinymce_init.php which is in your reference material???

Frustrating stuff.

Les

:twisted:

Max
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: TINY MCE Hair PULLING

Post by Max » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:23 am

leshall wrote:MAX

I am having the exact same problem. When you download the ZIP file it extracts a folder called tinymce_3_2_2. Inside that are two folders - jscripts & examples and a file changelog.txt

So what do we use where?

Also what about the tinymce_init.php which is in your reference material???

Frustrating stuff.

Les

:twisted:

hi every one.... if you are struggling to find the tinymce folder when you download this editor then that is because it looks like the moxicode have changed there folder name...
So from now on when you download the editor all you need to do is change the folder name from: tinymce_3_2_2 or what ever the latest release number is to just tinymce and place the whole folder within the opt folder the exact path for the opt folder is: webyep-system/program/opt
After that webyep will recognise the renamed tinymce folder and its contents and use it as normal.

In the next release of the Freeway Manual I will add the above to the instructions. And I am sure OBD will do the same on the official site to avoid confusion for people in the future.

If you do not plan on adding any extra plugins for tinymce then you do not need to use an external tinymce_init.php file because webyep will use its default setup. If anyone is interested in adding for example the image manager plugin then let me know and I will add a mini tutorial on how to go about doing it and what extra files need to be adjusted

kind regards max

krit

Still can't get to work

Post by krit » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:48 pm

I have installed tinymce and reneamde the directory.
When I try to edit a rich text field the source is shown in the editor and no formatbuttons are available. The header says: Rich Text (TinyMCE): Text
Any idea what i have done wrong

leshall

Post by leshall » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:50 pm

That's exactly what happens with me.

Please someone!

Max
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Still can't get to work

Post by Max » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:00 pm

krit wrote:I have installed tinymce and reneamde the directory.
When I try to edit a rich text field the source is shown in the editor and no formatbuttons are available. The header says: Rich Text (TinyMCE): Text
Any idea what i have done wrong

thats odd!!
I am assuming you have followed the instructions and just renamed then tinymce_2_2_3 folder to tinymce.
the only reason I ask is I have just tried the experiment here and it all worked as it should

Ok what i will do is ask either kirt or Les to send me there tinymce zipped up. Les you have my email and krit you dont so here it is

max.izzat@virgin.net
I will test it here and make sure they are working or not then I will report back with what I see because my versions are working correctly.

kind regards max

johannes
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by johannes » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:08 pm

You can check whether you have installed TinyMCE at the correct location under the correct name by accessing the URL

http://www.mywebsitesdomain.com/webyep- ... icense.txt

(replace "www.mywebsitesdomain.com" by your web site's host name)

This should show TinyMCE's license text. If you get a "not found" error instead, either the folder name or structure is incorrect.

Please also make sure all the TinyMCE files you have installed have the correct permissions.

All files need read permissions for everyone and must not have execute permissions for anyone.

All folders need read _and_ execute permissions for everyone.

krit

Problem solved

Post by krit » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:13 pm

Forgot to change the permissions :oops: for the TinyMCE dir

leshall

Post by leshall » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:15 pm

I had installed it correctly in the right place etc.

there is no mention AFAIR in your manual about changing permissions.

My set-up is working for me now. Max sent me a tinymce folder that I just put in opt and it worked. Maybe he changed the permissions???

Thanks. Les

Max
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Max » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:02 am

leshall wrote:I had installed it correctly in the right place etc.

My set-up is working for me now. Max sent me a tinymce folder that I just put in opt and it worked. Maybe he changed the permissions???

Thanks. Les

Hi Les glad your one is working now
I didn't change any permissions I just changed the folder name. So I am not sure why your didn't work

anyway glad its all worked out now

all the best Max

Garstang

Post by Garstang » Wed May 20, 2009 6:18 pm

The problem is with the expected directory structure.
WebYep expects ..../opt/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/
Cheers

johannes
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re:

Post by johannes » Fri May 22, 2009 2:29 pm

leshall wrote:I had installed it correctly in the right place etc.
Thanks. Les

Some FTP clients also "transfer" the permissions from you local computer to the server when uploading files. Unfortunately it sometimes happens, that the permissions on the local computer are inappropriate for the server. For example we had cases where they include execute permissions for the .php/.html/.js files (e.g. on Mac OS X after extracting from a ZIP), but the server does not "want" those files to have execute permissions and throws in "Internal Server Error".

Usually files on the server should have permssions: read for all, write for owner, execute for nobody.
Folder should have: read for all, write for owner, execute for all.

eus

Post by eus » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:24 pm

Dear Max ( deares max of all.. LOL)
i to am in trouble with the TinyMCE..
i try to do all you have told here, but no luck.
my www.spenozzie.nl does not want to show any tinymce..
i did put all in the opt folder, but.. no luck..
please please help

Max
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Max » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:56 pm

Hi Eugenie
I think I have fixed it, though you may want to check it first (I think TinyMCE was corrupted)
all the best max