Wanted feature

General discussions about WebYep
youdecide

Wanted feature

Post by youdecide » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:52 am

It would be nice if thumbnails could be cropped. So that when one decided to have thumbnails at 150x150 pixels and chose one image that is 640x480 and the other 200x800, webyep cropped the thumbaill version to 150x150. It would make the layout look better.

Thanks,
Tom, Graphic designer - Norway

johannes
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by johannes » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:40 pm

Thank you for your suggestion, we will consider it.

Only: When cropping an image, how should WebYep know where to remove image data without cropping away somebody's head :wink:

youdecide

Post by youdecide » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:04 pm

Hi!
No, I presume it would be tough. I have seen an extension that allows the user to set the thumb (realtime moving the image around inside a box). Could that be a solution? It would surely boost webyep to another level! :)

Thanks,
Tom, Graphic designer - Norway

johannes
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by johannes » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:59 am

youdecide wrote:I have seen an extension that allows the user to set the thumb (realtime moving the image around inside a box). Could that be a solution?

Of course - letting the user decide how to crop would be the solution (I wasn't really serious about the auto-cropping...)

On the other hand - I think that resizing the images to thumbnails proportionally also has advantages - it's more a preview, if the thumbnail has the proportions of the real image.

If you want to have a consistent look (dimension) for all thumbnails, no matter what orientation the original image is in, it would also be a solution to give the thumb cells a background color and a fixed width and height.

youdecide

Post by youdecide » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:02 am

If you want to have a consistent look (dimension) for all thumbnails, no matter what orientation the original image is in, it would also be a solution to give the thumb cells a background color and a fixed width and height.

Ah, I did not think of that. I will give it a shot. Thanks for your input! :)

Tom

urudrew

ANY chance of this??

Post by urudrew » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:03 am

I love the new image gallery, cannot ask for much more except THIS!

I also think it would be super great to have the option to crop thumbnails this way because in a lot of cases it does make for a neater layout. Even if you can't choose exactly what's cropped out, i would be totally happy with this as the thumbnails could be a sneak peek type thing, it doesn't have to show the whole image.

Maybe if the thumbnails could be scaled by a percentages? I don't know if that makes sense or if it would make a difference but just a way to get them all the same size would be sooooo great!

Unfortunately stretching them with css looks a lot worse!

bcbounders

Re: Wanted feature

Post by bcbounders » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:13 am

Sorry to resurrect this old thread... but I would also love a way to be able to control the thumbnails. I really like having square thumbnails so that the rows of them all look uniform... even if the cropping was automatic, the thumbnails end up being evocative.

Is there any way to do that now with WebYep? (like a hidden, undocumented parameter of the webyep_gallery item?