Multi admins

General discussions about WebYep
universaltortoise

Multi admins

Post by universaltortoise » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:20 am

Hi,
New to WebYep, very impressed. One thing bugs me why can't I assign multiple logins/passwords for designated pages. This would (for me) make it the best thing since, er, sliced bread.

Is there any development in the pipleline? Or is it a technical imposibility?

Cheers
Sw

johannes
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by johannes » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:02 am

Is there any development in the pipleline?

There is..., but that's unfortunately all I can say now.

universaltortoise

Post by universaltortoise » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:24 am

Thanks Johannes,

That'll do for me !

Regards
Simon

shady

Re: Multi admins

Post by shady » Fri May 01, 2009 4:07 pm

Hi, is there any update on this?

cm
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cm » Tue May 19, 2009 5:01 pm

Hello,
this would be a very important feature for me.

johannes
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by johannes » Mon May 25, 2009 2:52 pm

shady wrote:Hi, is there any update on this?

We will release 1.4.1 (fixing some issues) in early June the latest.

After that, approximately at the end of June, we will make available a Beta of the next major release of WebYep, having the "multiple admin accounts" feature.

If not, you may chop my head off :wink:

thor0128

Post by thor0128 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:22 pm

Sweet this is a great add on feature to webyep! 8) :D It is July now no more information? no 1.4.1 update posted either...

shady

Post by shady » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:44 pm

So, umm, where do we go for the execution?

johannes
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by johannes » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:02 am

1.4.1 is now online - sorry 4 the delay!

I could now say that the beta including the "multiple logins" feature will be online late July, but I wont.

shady wrote:So, umm, where do we go for the execution?

Right here: uploads/Chop.html

Unfortunately programming will a bit difficult, without my head :(

thor0128

Post by thor0128 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:11 pm

Alrighty then, looking forward for the beta! I used to have a link to the beta stuff.. I will go search in my email and see if I can find it.. I have some glue that could be used to put your head back on... LOL

Dudikowski

Post by Dudikowski » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:54 pm

I just read the email about the prerelease of 1.5.0 and the multiple logins. Will this thing include a warning if an admin tries to edit a page already being edited by another admin?

johannes
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by johannes » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:24 pm

No - as logging out is not required in WebYep and as there is no work flow management, WebYep cannot know when editor A is finished editing, so editor B may start editing.

The whole multi login thing is mainly about different editors editing different pages. The access control is at the page level, not the Element level - so you cannot give some editor only access to a part of a page.

Therefore the usual case will be that only one editor has the right to edit a specific page.

WebYep also is not that big CMS for big web sites with tens of editors editing content constantly. In the usual WebYep web site the chances that two editors are currently editing the same page are infinitesimal. And even if, the page or structure will not be damaged - the worst thing happening would be, that one editor looses the editing battle...

This could have happened also in previous releases of WebYep, as multiple editors could use the main login - and this was used that way by several WebYep users, but none of them ever reported a problem with editing overlaps.

It really is a questions of what category of web site we are talking about. Web sites where such editing conflicts are possible and actually happen are most likely more a candidate for Joomla & Co, where you buy more functionality and fine grained access control with complexity and lesser ease of use.

thor0128

Post by thor0128 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:08 pm

Any documentation on Multi admins? what is in the config-inc.dist is not very clear to me..

johannes
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by johannes » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:12 pm

The Multi Admin Beta is in a very early stage - the config docu can be found here:
http://www.obdev.at/webyep/nightly.html

Regarding the config-inc.dist.php:
The config-inc.php shipped with the current 1.5.0 beta contains a template and basic description of the config settings for the multi login stuff. But if you use the Online Installer to update an existing WebYep installation to the new 1.5.0 beta, it will not overwrite your existing config-inc.php so you wont find the info in there. The installer will instead upload a virgin copy of the config file under the name config-inc.dist.php - you can look in there to see the template and the config instructions.

thor0128

Post by thor0128 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:58 pm

Downloaded the nightly build files I am not seeing any information the the document files... Duh it is on the actual page.. sorry