Sharity cannot navigate to a valid directory

General discussions about Sharity

Sharity cannot navigate to a valid directory

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:18 pm

Hello,

I hope someone can shed some light on this problem that I am having.I am running Solaris 10 and while drilling down directories on a Sharity mount I will get a message that a directory cannot be found. If I do a LS it is there. If I unmount the Sharity mount and re mount it it works fine. This has happened multiple times. Please help.

Thanks

christian
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: Sharity cannot navigate to a valid directory

Postby christian » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:32 am

The error message is "not a directory", right? There is a problem with Solaris 10 (does not occur on Solaris 9) where the operating system thinks that a nodes is a file, not a directory. It does not even ask Sharity (and if it asks Sharity, Sharity answers with "directory").

One customer suggested the following solution. This works with little performance degradation as far as Sharity is concerned, but I don't know how it affects other NFS mounts:

In the file /etc/system add the line

set nfs:nrnode = 1

Here's the documentation for this setting:

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-0404/6mg74vshi

yaoyao

Postby yaoyao » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:22 pm

I have exactly the same issue. I dont quite understand your explanation. If it is solaris 10 issue, I dont seem to have same problem with other nfs shares. What exactly the workaround do to fix the issue?

christian
Objective Development
Objective Development

Postby christian » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:37 am

NFS 3 has many options where and how file attributes can be communicated. Servers may differ in their behavior where and when they send file attributes. Sharity is a bit unconventional in some places because retrieving file attributes is an expensive operation. This may trigger bugs in the kernel which won't occur with other servers.

It is also possible that this is a bug in Sharity, but we have not been able to find any misbehavior so far.

The change suggested above should fix the issue, but it may have side effects for regular NFS mounts.

yaoyao

Postby yaoyao » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:38 pm

This misbehavior is not consistent, but occur frequently enough. We use nfs4 for solaris10. The parameter for nfs4 is nfs4_nra. I changed it dynamically in the kernel via mdb on our dev server. I'll monitor it for sometime.

christian
Objective Development
Objective Development

Postby christian » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:45 pm

Sharity ALWAYS uses NFS v3, not v4, even if version 4 is available. So please change the settings for NFS v3.

christian
Objective Development
Objective Development

Postby christian » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:20 pm

Update: It turned out that this was a bug in Sharity. It was fixed in version 3.8.

Return to “Sharity General”