Slow file transfer from MacPro to Win2003 serveon AD network

General discussions about Sharity
Andrew

Slow file transfer from MacPro to Win2003 serveon AD network

Postby Andrew » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:46 am

I have a Quad MacPro with 4GB of RAM running Tiger on a gigabit Windows network using Sharity 3.0. and I'm having huge network speed problems transferring files to the Win2003 server on an AD network.

For some reason or other I can't figure out why the network speed is so darn slow.

In case you're wondering if it's the network itself, I have tested the network with a network probe to verify that it's not the cabling. The cabling is up to spec and will support gigabit speeds.

THE SCENARIO:

When I try t copy a 1.25GB file across the network to the Win2003 server from the MacPro, Tiger reports that it will take over 2 hours to transfer the file, as opposed to only 90 seconds between the MacPro and a MacBook Pro on the same network using the same network file protocol i.e. Windows file sharing.

It should also be noted that the problem appears to be one way only. Sending the same file from the Win2003 server to the MacPro takes 3 minutes, a far cry from the 90 seconds between the MacPro and th MacBook Pro, but still much much better than the 2 plus hours reported by the MacPro to transfer the same file back to the Windows server.

Has anyone else encountered this serious problem and has come up with a work around or a solution? Any help or pointers would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advanced,
Andrew

christian
Objective Development
Objective Development

Postby christian » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:29 am

Version 3.0 is rather old. Many things have been changed since 3.0 which might affect performance on your particular machine.

Please get in contact with us at the support contact form at http://www.obdev.at/products/sharity/contact.html and I'll mail you the current development snapshot.

If that does not help, we have a built-in performance analysis to track down such problems. But still the most likely cause is that data packets are lost. Sharity is affected by hardware or configuration problems more than other applications because it sends and receives data in many small blocks.

Andrew

Postby Andrew » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:43 pm

I'm sorry I should have been more specific about the version number. I'm using Version 3.2 [303].

If that's the most recent version, could there be something else that I need to reconfigure?

Thanks,
Andrew

christian
Objective Development
Objective Development

Postby christian » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:32 pm

OK. Then let's have a look at the debug log. Please do the following:

(1) Open a Terminal window (Terminal.app is in /Applications/Utilities) and prepare the following line:

Code: Select all

sudo sharity debug performance 500

Don't type the Return key yet, just prepare the line.

(2) Start the transfer.

(3) Now type the Return key in Terminal. It will ask you for your password.

(4) When the command completes (don't kill it, wait for it to complete), type

Code: Select all

open -e /tmp/sharity-perflog.txt

The file will open in an editor window. Please mail us this file as an attachment to the support e-mail address.

Bruno P.

A Windows XP functional BUG ???

Postby Bruno P. » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:02 am

Windows XP (SP2) when installing drivers for your NIC (ethernet adapter) never fills the MAC Adress of the adapter in the corresponding NIC configuration field...

Well, this does not seem to decrease internet connection speed when using a router, but on my network (NETGEAR Wire router), it makes communication between 2 windows XP machines very very very slow !!! (32 kbytes/s)

Filling this blank field with the good MAC adresses on both computer solved the problem, I now can transfer files between the 2 PC at 7600 kbytes/s (something like 60 Mbits) !

christian
Objective Development
Objective Development

Postby christian » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:24 am

Thanks, Bruno, for this interesting hint. I have never heard about this before.

We have identified another possible cause for performance problems in Sharity. It depends on the file system implementation on the server. If you experience performance problems, please contact us through http://www.obdev.at/sharity/contact.html

Khromag

Re: A Windows XP functional BUG ???

Postby Khromag » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:02 pm

Bruno P. wrote:Windows XP (SP2) when installing drivers for your NIC (ethernet adapter) never fills the MAC Adress of the adapter in the corresponding NIC configuration field...

Well, this does not seem to decrease internet connection speed when using a router, but on my network (NETGEAR Wire router), it makes communication between 2 windows XP machines very very very slow !!! (32 kbytes/s)

Filling this blank field with the good MAC adresses on both computer solved the problem, I now can transfer files between the 2 PC at 7600 kbytes/s (something like 60 Mbits) !

I seem to be having this exact issue, but I am not familiar with the guts of Windows XP enough to go in and find where to do this and to know what the MAC Address should be for each of my machines.

A step-by-step for me would be supremely helpful.

Thanks!

zuke

MAC PRO GB very slow

Postby zuke » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:36 am

I have the same problem. Moving large files from the mac to Active Directory shares is very slow. It is very fast between PCs on the network. I have two MACPROs with dual dual-core Xeon chips and the GB NIC. Is it just a really weak piece of hardware Apple decided to integrate into its system?

Re: MAC PRO GB very slow

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:59 pm

zuke wrote: ... Is it just a really weak piece of hardware Apple decided to integrate into its system?

How well can you transfer large files from one Mac to another? You have Macs with Gigabit Ethernet. Assuming any router placed between them also is Gigabit, large transfers should be very quick.

But what you're doing when sending large transfers to to a Windows box is asking for a bit of translation to happen as well.

BrakyEyes

Re: Slow file transfer from MacPro to Win2003 serveon AD net

Postby BrakyEyes » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:20 pm

The reason it is slow is because a domain controller isnt meant to work a file server. When you promote the server to a DC the TCP ACK response time goes up alot. You'll find that any explorer copying will be slow for either push/pull. Push especially very slow. If you use xcopy from a command window you will get the performance you are used to. Here is a link to a microsoft article detailing everything Onarimcilar

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321098

hope this helps
Last edited by BrakyEyes on Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gabriella28

Re: Slow file transfer from MacPro to Win2003 serveon AD net

Postby gabriella28 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:52 pm

I have the same issue. I'm running on windows 2003 server. When AD is install the file transfer from a PC to the server and vise versa is really slow. I get a ping response from the server is more than 120ms. JMK Design

Return to “Sharity General”