Symlinks in applications folder

General discussions about LaunchBar
garage_logician

Symlinks in applications folder

Post by garage_logician » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:07 pm

I can't be the only one who installs and uses apps via cask (brew). If you install a brew cask the application is placed under the /opt/homebrew-cask/Caskroom directory and a symlink to the app is added to the /Applications directory. I cannot get launchbar to index these links no matter what I do.

What are others doing? I can add the Caskroom as a folder I suppose or copy over the exe instead of the sym but both are a pain in the keister. Launchbar is supposed to make my life easier, not more of a hassle. Is it supposed to index symlinks? Is there a setting that I am missing? Is this something it does not do? If that is the case, why? Can we get it added?

I have seen posts about the same issue going back to 2011, I sure hope that someone can address this issue.

simon
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: Symlinks in applications folder

Post by simon » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:27 pm

In fact the Application indexing does not include the symbolic links.
You could add your /usr/local/homebrew-cask/ folder to the list of specific places in your Application indexing options.

Cheers, Simon

borice

Post by borice » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:18 am

Adding /opt/homebrew-cask/Caskroom to the index did the trick.

To do that, tap Option+Cmd+I (or select Settings -> Index -> Show Index) and click Applications in the left menu, then click Options (on the right, next to Index), then click + at the bottom to add a folder to the list (press Cmd+Shift+G to go to a specific folder) and enter/opt/homebrew-cask/Caskroom

Hope this helps.

fnurl

Post by fnurl » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:07 am

Thanks! That did help! For future visitors:

The location of homebrew's casks have been moved to

Code: Select all

/usr/local/Caskroom
and I also had to add

/usr/local/Cellar/
for

emacs-plus

invictus26
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by invictus26 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:28 am

We actually recently change homebrew cask to move applications instead of symlinking. Try updating your version of homebrew cask and re-installing your applications.