Select range from Clipboard History?

General discussions about LaunchBar
Kirby Krieger

Select range from Clipboard History?

Postby Kirby Krieger » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:04 am

I feel as though I'm overlooking something obvious. How can I select a range of items in LB's Clipboard History?

The focus shifts as one scrolls the list, so "{shift}-click" is restricted to the number of items displayed (I can't click an item not displayed). I would like to do the equivalent of selecting an item, scrolling fifty or so items, {shift}-clicking another item, and having the range between the items selected.

Clicking-and-dragging attempts to move the item clicked (expecting to another application). {Shift}-scroll does nothing.

Again, the issue occurs when the desired range includes more items than show in the LB Clipboard History as brought up by the key-chord (perhaps customized) ⌃⌘\ .

Thanks. Apologies if I can't see what's in front of my nose.

ratty
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Select range from Clipboard History?

Postby ratty » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:18 pm

You can select multiple and paste them at once using Staging. You can select multiple with Staging, and then you have to press ⌘+⇧+C. This will copy and paste, where your focus is. Press ⌘+C, just to copy and not paste.

When I use LaunchBar I try not to use mouse at all. You should get into this habit, it's to increase workflow speed, and if you have to move you hand to mouse... Agh! Try to use shortcuts,as often as possible. The most important one is ⌘+⌃+→(Right arrow); this will open up the contextual menu, so you can see the shortcuts for available commands, and use them.

Kirby Krieger

Postby Kirby Krieger » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:54 am

Thanks ratty — staging works — after a fashion. I appreciate your work-around. I can ⇧+arrow to extend the selection. I _can not_ ⇧+click to extend the selection when the selection I want extends past the currently shown items in Launchbar. This was the essence of my question. Why not? What is the advantage of selecting 57 items in the Clipboard History list by holding down ⇧+arrow for 57 actuation of that function, over quickly scrolling to the 57th item and clicking it?

I am an artist. All of my work involves image files. When working with them as files, I don't use the the trackpad or my Intuos tablet much, but most of the time I am working in PS or Aperture or similar. I'm adept with a trackpad :) — I developed a two-handed method that works quickly and doesn't cause me to move my hands far from the typing position. Scrolling via trackpad is _much more efficient_ than using the keyboard. (I haven't used a mouse in years — since I learned how to program keystrokes to the trackpad or the tablet.)

ratty
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby ratty » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:15 pm

I doubt, the devs will ever let you select an item, and let you scroll it off screen while it still has the focus. As you can see when you scroll, you are essentially pressing the Up/Down arrow keys, the selection moves not the screen/window. If you find yourself getting annoying, you can always look into separate Clipboard Manager app. From my experience:
    1. Keyboard Maestro(good, a lot of other things; perhaps too many)
    2. iClipboard (good, but you have to use the mouse/pointer to select, so I don't like it. You clearly don't mind it, just might be what you need...)
    3. Clipboard Centre (simple, basic)
    4. Copy 'em Paste (haven't tried it but heard good things)
I believe there are demo for all these apps. I would like to say I'm not in anyway related to these apps or devs, just my personal experience. If you do use a separate manager then don't forget to turn off LB's clipboard manager; otherwise your might see lag in copying large files.

Nonetheless, it still would be wise to shoot the devs an email ( launchbar(at)obdev.at ), they might include your feature to solve your conundrum.

Kirby Krieger

Postby Kirby Krieger » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:39 pm

ratty — thanks again. I use Keyboard Maestro every day, but because I purchased LB first and foremost as a clipboard manager, I have ended up using LB to stack all my clippings, and have my macros pick them from LB's stack as needed. I should port my clipboarding to KM — among much, it allows multiple, named clipboards — but my mind and my fingers are completely trained in using LB, and I rely daily on macros that rely, in turn, on LB. I have, in fact, used "press arrow down ## times" in order to do the task that caused me to start my thread (again, thanks for the work-around :) ). I'll toss a cracker on the dev's work-table.

—Kirby.

ptim
Rank 2
Rank 2

Postby ptim » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:15 pm

not sure if i'm missing something, but I can cmd-space, cmd-k to keep the clipboard active, and click / scroll using the trackpad, then shift-cmd-v to paste..

Kirby Krieger

Postby Kirby Krieger » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:37 pm

ptim wrote:not sure if i'm missing something, but I can cmd-space, cmd-k to keep the clipboard active, and click / scroll using the trackpad, then shift-cmd-v to paste..

Thanks for replying.

The functionality I am looking for is: select a range of items in LB's Clipboard History that is larger than what is shown at any one time in LB's Clipboard History list. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by " ... click / scroll using the trackpad". Do you know a method that allows one to select, say 30 sequential items from the Clipboard History?

In practice, staging the items (as suggested by ratty) by repeatedly typing "{shift}{down-arrow}" works well, and can be easily programmed in Keyboard Maestro and other similar programs.

ptim
Rank 2
Rank 2

Postby ptim » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:45 am

just confirmed this:

- hit cmd-space
- cmd-k to show the clipboard
- click a clipboard entry: the start of the range you want
- scroll through the list until you see the last selection you want,
- shift click it
- cmd-c to copy!

The new combined clipboard entry appears at the top of the list, ready to paste.

here's a gif screen recording of the above: https://imgur.com/gallery/5dJij

You can also multi select non-contiguous items :)

For reference, I have my clipboard prefs set to store 40 items.

Cheers! ptim

Return to “LaunchBar General”