launchbar script to type new sticky note (for os x stickies)

General discussions about LaunchBar
bible

launchbar script to type new sticky note (for os x stickies)

Post by bible » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:53 pm

anyone got a script or something for this one?

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:45 pm

Try the build in "New Sticky" search templete. Just choose it, press space to type, and enter. You can also instant send stuff directly to the templete. Very nice stuff.

bible

using launchbar to create new stickies note in os x tiger

Post by bible » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:26 pm

I'm sorry. Im a noob... Step by step instructions would be totally appreciated... build in new sticky search template? where do I find this feature... in Stickies or in Launchbar? tia

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:47 am

Judging by the name 'search template' it should be included with LaunchBar, but I can't find it either.

But googling revealed a way of building it yourself:
http://inik.net/node/96 wrote:Just open LaunchBar’s configuration, and enter the following search string in a new search template called, I don’t know, “New Sticky” or something:

x-launchbar:perform-service?name=Make+New+Sticky+Note&string=*

So basically what he's saying is open up LaunchBar's configuration
(for example by pressing command-y when LaunchBar's active),
then click on "Search templates (UTF-8)" in the left column and click the "Add…"-Button to add a new search template.
Type in 'New Sticky' (or whatever) and then click on the 'Details' field of your new template and paste the string:

x-launchbar:perform-service?name=Make+New+Sticky+Note&string=*

By Instant-sending he means you can select a piece of text, for example this comment, hit command-spacebar to select the text in LaunchBar, then hit tab and type your abbreviation for new Sticky, then hit enter - a new sticky containing the selected text will be opened. Verrry handy - if you, unlike me, actually use stickies ;-)

I hope I could help you, bible.
Regards, Ludwig

veke
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by veke » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:37 am

haha, I'm sorry, I created this templete so long ago I thought it was build in. I apologize. It's great nonetheless :)

bible

Post by bible » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:02 pm

thank you very much for your help...

but i must be an idiot....

i did what u said in Search Templates (UTF8) and after doing that and trying it... I get the error:

Can't open the specified address

the address
x-launchbar:perform-service?name=Make+New+Sticky+Note&string=asdf" could not be opened (The URL doesn't comply with RFC 2396)

I copied and pasted... but for some reason it turns red ( or blank) when trying to add it in details section of search templates....

all the other templates seem to start with "http:"

...I tried to add this in "Custom Search Templates" but when I type it in luanchbar and then try to type my note...after hitting return... nothing happens... no new sticky anywhere....

I am using Launchbar 4.3.3 and Laster version of Tiger 10.4.11

arrrrr

Thanks tho, really appreciate it

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:13 pm

Enter the LB configuration Window. Choose the Search Templates. Press "Add" in the upper right corner. Name the new template to "New Sticky Note" or similar. Paste " x-launchbar:perform-service?name=Make+New+Sticky+Note&string=* " in the Details column. Exit and save. x-launchbar-creates special templates that are different from the http-ones that are websearches. This particular template is using the New Sticky Note service from the Service menu. You can create a template from any item in the service menu by using the same formula and changing the "Make
New+Sticky+Note" to whatever the name in the service menu is. Hope I make some sense, and that you succed in entering the template

p.s. Dear Norbert, we need that template sharing feature now...

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:28 pm

bible, did you actually enter the "asdf" part at the end? It's not supposed to be there, the string should end in "*".
But the only thing that would change is that you couldn't enter custom text, but would see a "asdf" Sticky all the time…

Apart from that… I wouldn't know why it shouldn't work under tiger :-(

greetings,
Ludwig

EDIT: btw. try sending an email to LaunchBar's Support, they maybe able to help you where we regular forum users can not *hopeful* Good Luck!

EDIT: WAIT, did you paste any of the "" quotes? Don't do that :-)

bible

Post by bible » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:16 am

oddly enough... I don't have that service titled "Make New Sticky" in my services menu... under any application.... hmmm, did I erase it somehow? and how would I be able to get it back? :( bla

bible

Post by bible » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:39 am

ahh i guess i sorta figured it out....

your instructions work...

except that before I had the "Make New Sticky" service disabled somehow...

so I re-enabled using a 3rd party app called Service Scrubber...

I guess I fiddle too much THX erebody

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:37 pm

… you're welcome!

Ludwig

sparker

Re: launchbar script to type new sticky note (for os x stickies)

Post by sparker » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:27 am

Just tried this for OS X 10.6.5 and LB 5.03, but can't get it working.

Went to Index --> Show Index, then clicked on "Search TEmplates (UTF-8)"
THen clicked on "Add" (now in the lower left), created "Sticky-New" with "x-launchbar:perform-service?name=Make+New+Sticky+Note&string=*"

But nothing happens if I hit CMD-SPACE, then type sticky-new - [ENTER] - test.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

Steve

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: launchbar script to type new sticky note (for os x stickies)

Post by norbert » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:29 pm

Stickies.app internally uses a different name for this Service, "Make Sticky" instead of "Make New Sticky Note" as shown in the Services menu. The search template therefore must be:

x-launchbar:perform-service?name=Make+Sticky&string=*

But with LaunchBar 5 it's no longer necessary to manually add search templates for this purpose at all. LaunchBar's Services indexing rule already indexes ALL available services, so the "Make New Sticky Note" service should already be accessible from LaunchBar's index.