The state of LB 6 and user frustration hitting a peak…

General discussions about LaunchBar
LovesItFrustratesMe

The state of LB 6 and user frustration hitting a peak…

Post by LovesItFrustratesMe » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:28 am

It may just be me, but I'm getting a sentiment in reading these forums I don't like. I love LB, I can't work without it and it's customizability. But with complex apps come complex questions that developers have to take under their wing…

There seem to be a lot of problems with LB 6 — in looking over the forums, there are enough people who are asking how to revert to version 5, that it is apparent, there are issues.

From slowness, nap issues, ram usage that grow into the 500MB+ range, etc.

And the main thing, LB is an old and exceedingly well respected app, with a well trusted developer. I pushed my credit card his way the day the app asked me too. I had to revert from 6 to 5 as LB 6 was not ready for me at release.

I am seeing way too many complaints from users who are not getting replies from support inquiries. The forums and each other seem to be all we have.

At this point, I think that we should start a thread, where we all commit to asking for refunds. All we are, at least me, looking for, is a response from the developer, tell us what is going on, what the problems are, what the time frames are, even though we know time frames are never able to be held to, but I certainly don’t want to be left out in the wind on this one.

A “postmortem on releasing version 6” would be really cool and go a long way.

We can use this forum post as a way to say, please, please post something, or I am going to have to ask for a refund from my credit card company.

Thank you, with much respect, I many year user.

big

Re: The state of LB 6 and user frustration hitting a peak…

Post by big » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:54 am

I'm not quite sure I agree with a mass boycott even though LB6 is unusable for me. And I do grant you that after an initial response the developer has totally ignored my reports of serious issues with LB6. Like you say, a "we're working on it" would go a long way.

But since their products have always been of high quality and their support seems to come through eventually (they do seem slow to fix issues at times) I'm willing to hang in a little longer.

comety

Post by comety » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:33 am

Me too, I am having in o course, and I too have had to revert to version 5, twice, but it certainly would go a long way to get a little what the heck is going on from the developer. That would be most appreciated to hear from around here.

We have this community making all these cool actions, helping others, but I just feel all alone, that if things get really bad, what is going to happen to my workflow. I feel a developer, whom has been paid for their software, regardless of the form license agreement and TOS, has some responsibility to keep me with a version that works. Beyond that, sure, go off to a foreign land and retire, that is fine, but the last release, that should be solid and working, assuming you are charging for it,

If you say "Screw you guys, I'm goin' home", and release a version, but don't charge for it, while I hope it would be OSS'd, they have no responsibility to anyone to do anything. However, if there is payment involved, then they do have some responsibility to hang around. And we are a nice group, for the $10 we are talking about, Im sure most of us would say "hey, thanks, thane a nice retirement, it was fun while it lasted."

jpcirrus

Post by jpcirrus » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:23 pm

After having first browsed this forum before upgrading from LB5 I did so with some trepidation after reading about some user's issues. But after using LB6 for a few days now and having adjusted to the new themes, I am very happy with the upgrade. In fact, I upgraded to Mavericks just so's that I could run LB6.

I suspect the issues others are having with the upgrade can be caused by old caches. The upgrade procedure I followed was to quit LB, in the Finder navigate to ~/Library/Caches and search for the name "launchbar" and delete every result that was inside that folder. I then installed and opened LB6, tweaked the preferences and index, installed more actions, and it has run smoothly ever since. And that is with the same ~/Library/Application Support/LaunchBar folder contents and preference file since 2004, which no doubt contain a lot of cruft.