Avoiding duplicate file listings in index

General discussions about LaunchBar
joshfreeman

Avoiding duplicate file listings in index

Post by joshfreeman » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:28 pm

When I use LB to find a folder, I am occasionally finding two identical items in the list. Seems not to matter which I choose -- I end up in the same place. I want to set up Indexes so they are most efficient and avoid any duplication.

I have my active project files syncing in Dropbox. And I have an alias to that Dropbox in my Projects folder (where things used to be stored before I moved them). Would that cause a duplicate listing?

And in my Index rules, is it faster to just let LB search all subfolders in my Home folder (and find the Dropbox stuff) or to set up Home as a shallower search and include the Dropbox folder separately as a deeper one?

Thanks for any guidance.

iRounak
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Avoiding duplicate file listings in index

Post by iRounak » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:33 pm

In LaunchBar press Cmd+Shift+i to see the location of that item in your index. That way, you will understand where they exist at different places in your index.

If you have indexed your home folder in a way that LaunchBar index shows "fileX" and then you add folderX as separate index rule which includes "fileX" you will get two fileX in your LaunchBar search results.

joshfreeman

Post by joshfreeman » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:47 pm

That's helpful. Thank you. So the idea is not to have any overlap in the Indexing set-up.

Ideally, I'd simply like to have LB index my whole Home folder and all subfolders and be done with it. Just concerned about whether that would slow things to a crawl, although I have an SSD on my Macbook Pro. Do you know if that simple setup would be likely to make LB sluggish?

joshfreeman

Post by joshfreeman » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:49 pm

Answered my own question: Try it. So far so good. Thanks.