Abbreviations broken?

General discussions about LaunchBar
iRounak
Rank 4
Rank 4

Abbreviations broken?

Post by iRounak » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:31 pm

Memory issues in LB6, auto-launching of Safari some other issues brings back memories of broken Quicksilver when Alcor stopped developing it.
I assigned "GO" abbreviation for Google (Built-in Action)
I have another file "lb go to.scpt"
After pressing "GO" for few times and opening "lb go to.scpt" it becomes the default.
Anyone facing the same problem?

kastorff
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Abbreviations broken?

Post by kastorff » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:49 pm

I believe that's normal behavior. Whenever you use an abbreviation 3 times, it will replace the earlier abbreviation. LaunchBar believes you want to use the new abbreviation.

iRounak
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Abbreviations broken?

Post by iRounak » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:49 pm

I believe that's normal behavior. Whenever you use an abbreviation 3 times, it will replace the earlier abbreviation. LaunchBar believes you want to use the new abbreviation.

The documentation http://www.obdev.com/resources/launchbar/help/AbbreviationSearch.html does not confirm that.

If you are right, I dislike this behaviour of LB. There will be days when you will work particular file a lot for a day or few hours (e.g. working on a script or a spreadsheet). If that breaks manually set abbreviations, then there is no point in setting abbreviations manually.
Apps like LB must be used with pure "muscle-memory" for most frequently used activities. There should be no need for the user to look at the tiny LB bar for daily used actions like google search. The user must blindly be able to
Cmd+Space
g (or go)
space
query
return

That is why, I still think its broken, not intended.