LaunchBar search

General discussions about LaunchBar
Taosen

LaunchBar search

Postby Taosen » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:11 pm

I used to be able to type "go" and get a Google search screen. Now in LaunchBar 6, I get Google Maps, Google Japan, Google Images and a hundred others, but no simple Google. Where has it gone? Also I saw a mult--site search in the announcement, but am not able to figure out how to get to that either.
Thanks for any help you can give me/

Allsop
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: LaunchBar search

Postby Allsop » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:43 am

Works for me by typing “go” then a space and then what I want to search for.

Taosen

Postby Taosen » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:02 pm

Thanks. I love simple solutions. The trick was "then a space". I had been typing "go" and just getting the list of Google sites. Thanks again.

Taosen

Postby Taosen » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:04 pm

No, wait a minute. I spoke to soon. I typed "go" and a space, and then typed in my search, but it keeps coming up in Google Maps. Not where I want to be.

davemee
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby davemee » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:38 pm

This got me for a couple of things, but it's just a matter of retraining it - I think (as a user, not developer of LB, this is my mental model of it!)

If you type 'go' then hunt down for 'google search' before pressing space, it reinforces that 'google search' is the best response to 'go'. After a couple of times, this will be your default.

Alternately, you can hunt down 'google search' then press CMD+ALT+A to assign it an abbreviation ("go"?)

Make sure you use the 'Google (Built-in action)' version (or better still, 'DuckDuckGo (Built-in action)').

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Postby norbert » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:27 pm

Since Google and Wikipedia are now actions instead of search templates, your previous abbreviation mappings for these items are no longer effective. Therefore you indeed have to re-train your preferred abbreviations for these two items.

The fastest way to do this: Spell out the complete name GOOGLE (this should reliably select the new Google action), and use ⌥⌘A (Assign Abbreviation) to assign your preferred abbreviation again. You only have to do this once.

If you perform these web searches often via LaunchBar, I would even recommend to assign short, one letter abbreviations such as G for Google, W for Wikipedia or D for DuckDuckGo. Your web search is then just a matter of typing G Space <search-term>.

Taosen

Postby Taosen » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:23 pm

Things are working now. LB did need retraining. I was looking for just plain "Google". This never did appear the window. But I guess I should have been willing to settle for "Google Exact Phrase". So that is what I am using and all is well.
Thanks everyone.

Return to “LaunchBar General”