Launchbar 6 is Less Responsive

General discussions about LaunchBar
aekorps
Rank 1
Rank 1

Launchbar 6 is Less Responsive

Post by aekorps » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:52 pm

Just ran a test on my machine running LB5 compared to LB6 and it's less responsive. It doesn't 'feel' as snappy and quick when calling it up, typing, finding results. LB5 feels instantaneous, but there appears to be a lag between typing and finding results.

I realize this is the first version, but the responsiveness is the REASON I switched to Launchbar. I hope this will be addressed and fixed.

Has anyone else been noticing this?

line22

Re: Launchbar 6 is Less Responsive

Post by line22 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:31 pm

I have noticed a slight decrease in responsiveness as well, this is apparent starting from the way the bar shows up (fading in rather than being displayed immediately)

So far it hasn't been a major problem, but I agree with you - and I too hope LB6 can be taken to a level of performance comparable to LB5.

Jono
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jono » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:54 am

I'm having a similar experience.

If I'm typing something that is (for example) 5 letters long it will pause after typing about 3 characters long while it 'catches up'. After a few seconds it will finish typing the extra letters and then start to show the results based on the whole thing I've typed.

I hope this is improved on soon.

gallettony

Post by gallettony » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:26 pm

+1. I am seeing the same as Jono. When I type an abbreviation, LaunchBar chokes after 1-3 characters and pauses for 2-5 seconds. The results window only fills partially and the app is totally unresponsive. Then after a delay, it will allow me to continue entering an abbreviation and the results window will fill normally.

aekorps
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aekorps » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:09 pm

Even with 6.0.2, it doesn't appear that ObDev even recognizes this as a problem. It hasn't been fixed or addressed at all yet.

aekorps
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aekorps » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:33 am

I won't be upgrading until this is fixed. This is a major reason why I use Launchbar over other options, it's FAST. Or rather WAS. :(

AbdulK

Post by AbdulK » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:49 pm

Although I have not experienced the same "catching up" delay, I have noticed that LB6 is considerably slower than LB5 when displaying the top bar and pasting items from the clipboard history. It just doens't feel 'snappy' anymore like it used to, which is really disappointing because the incredible responsiveness was the reason I chose LB over others. Will you be addressing this??

BTW, I have a 2013 Macbook Pro, loaded: SSD, max 16GB RAM running latest Mavericks.

aekorps
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aekorps » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:34 pm

Is this going to be addressed? It's still nowhere near what it was, even in 6.1.3. Launcher 5 was way faster.

jpcirrus

Post by jpcirrus » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:54 pm

This issue isn't universal. I haven't noticed any decrease in speed from 5, my perception is that it's faster. Have you tried quitting LB then clearing the LB caches? You may also want to have a look at how many items are in the index, and trim that to what you actually need.

aekorps
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aekorps » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:18 pm

I'm talking about UI speed. This was my experience when I FIRST launched Launchbar 6, coming from using Launcher 5. So it didn't have any crazy huge caches sitting there clogging up the speed.

Honestly, if you open Launcher 5 and Launcher 6, you're saying 6 opens it UI with your keyboard and searches faster than 6?

jpcirrus

Post by jpcirrus » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:23 pm

Yes

bernd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bernd » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:34 pm

Hmmm, I'm running a Intel-iMac Mid 2007 with 4 GB RAM and assume I'd be predestined to experience any noticeable difference in speed comparing LaunchBar 6 to LaunchBar5 on this old machine. Yet I don't, neither with OS10.9.5 nor with OS10.10 with the latest versions of LB6. Maybe LB6 seemed a bit slower when it first was released, but either this has gone or I have gotten used to it - however as of today and all software up to date I feel no difference.
Also I don't experience a delay when having typed 3 or more letters as reported by others. It's all fluid. The only hint that comes to mind is, that I have a fast index. LB doesn't index my iTunes Library nor my home folder. I have it index selected folders instead.

Btw, a friend of mine running 2010 MacPro also does not notice a difference with LB6 worth mentioning.

transf3r

Post by transf3r » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:09 am

I have to say that I'm also having performance issues with LB6.

Major lag to get results with the bar locking up sometimes for over 30secs before it becomes active again.
It's definitely not a hardware or over bloated index issue as it is running a fresh install of 10.10 on a PCIe SSD.

I really hope this is remedied soon as I love this software and would hate to have to move to something else as it's becoming unusable.

transf3r

Post by transf3r » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:08 am

After further reading on the forums I came across this thread

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9222

This is exactly what I was experiencing which was making Launchbar unusable. After disabling indexing on network volumes and any other external volumes that weren't totally necessary, Launchbar has become much more responsive again.

Hope this helps other people.