Instant Send and Quickey for Launchbar stop working

General discussions about LaunchBar
kerrydawson

Instant Send and Quickey for Launchbar stop working

Post by kerrydawson » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:29 pm

I’m finding that my Instant Send key and my Quickey for Launchbar constantly stop working.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so do you know what might be wrong.

stef79

Re: Instant Send and Quickey for Launchbar stop working

Post by stef79 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:55 am

my Instant Send (double control) also stopped working after updating to maverick and updating launchbar (5.6.1). Also, if I configure double shift, it doesn't work.

How can I get it back?

kerrydawson

Post by kerrydawson » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:55 pm

Odd isn’t it. My whole keychain system broke down last night in Mavericks. Apple just helped me repair it and start with a fresh keychain. I wonder if this might help the scenario. It’s not only Launchbar that is doing the odd, strange thing. Cobooks just quietly quits all the time. No error message. Nothing. And it was designed for Mavericks. But that my whole keychain system broke down. I’ve never had that happen before in years of using a Mac.

I’ll report back if the new keychain helps with any of these problems I’ve been seeing.

manfred
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by manfred » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:04 pm

For both features LaunchBar relies on accessibility features provided by OS X. Apple introduced a
new per-application setting with OS X Mavericks. Make sure that LaunchBar.app is enabled in
System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Accessibility

kerrydawson

Post by kerrydawson » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:23 pm

I see Launchbar connected to say Address Book and that’s it. It’s not in the primary left panel but you can see it connected to an item int he right,

manfred
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by manfred » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:31 am

The left pane shows different sections (Location Services, Contacts, …). Select »Accessibility« from this list and
take a look if LaunchBar.app is enabled in the corresponding right pane.

kerrydawson

Post by kerrydawson » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:39 pm

Hmmmm. Launchbar is no where to be found in accessibility. I have no idea how you would get it to show up there. This is strange and very annoying. I’m going to contact Launchbar support. I’m thinking of switching to Alfred as my prime system as it gives me no problems. However, Launchbar provides more functions at the get go and is not as reliant on scripting. This is all very annoying.

David Winter

Post by David Winter » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:58 am

Other than OP, I would never think of abandoning LaunchBar for Alfred :) - but I experienced a similar problem.

I had upgraded my Mac to Mavericks when it came out, and LaunchBar was forking fine (as it always does; this is one of the most reliable pieces of software I have ever used).

However, yesterday Instant Send stopped working, for no apparent reason - I hadn't rebooted for days. After finding this thread, I looked in System Preferences / Security & Privacy / Accessibility, and LaunchBar was actually switched off. I know Instant Send had been working (I use it all the time), and I have never touched this setting, so, yeah: Something may be fishy in Mavericks Land (defect plist files?).

I reactivated InstantSend and restarted my Mac. Now everything's back to normal.

kerrydawson

Post by kerrydawson » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:19 pm

kerrydawson wrote:Hmmmm. Launchbar is no where to be found in accessibility. I have no idea how you would get it to show up there. This is strange and very annoying. I’m going to contact Launchbar support. I’m thinking of switching to Alfred as my prime system as it gives me no problems. However, Launchbar provides more functions at the get go and is not as reliant on scripting. This is all very annoying.

I agree. I can’t find Launchbaar in accessibility and have no idea how you get it there. I switched Alfred to my primary go to system and Launchbar as my secondary system but instant send, one of it’s most important functions, constantly fails. I suspect this to be a Mavericks thing but who knows as they have had a few releases of their own.

Alfred does require scripting if you want to get into advanced functionality and it’s like building an app. However, so does Launchbar. I’m not a scripture so I rely a lot on other people’s work and help. They’ve been marvellous on the Alfred forum. I would say unless Launchbar gets its act together Alfred 2 will eclipse them as it is a powerful system but....

Look in Activity Monitor and compare the memory Launchbar uses to Alfred. It’s night and day in Alfred’s favour. Although I have 16 gigs I don’t believe in wasting RAM if it‘s not necessary.

Back to instant send. I have no idea what to do but am glad to know that I’m not the only one experiencing the problem.

kerrydawson

Post by kerrydawson » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:21 pm

manfred wrote:The left pane shows different sections (Location Services, Contacts, …). Select »Accessibility« from this list and

Launchbar isn’t there and I don’t know how anything gets there.

kerrydawson

Post by kerrydawson » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:22 pm

manfred wrote:The left pane shows different sections (Location Services, Contacts, …). Select »Accessibility« from this list and

Alfred is there. How do you get Launchbar to appear there.

stef79

Post by stef79 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:43 pm

Ok, I found launchbar in accessibility, enabled it and that did the trick.

Also, I checked how to get launchbar in the accessibility window if it appears to be missing; just click the lock to make changes and drag the launchbar app (from the /applications folder) to the accessibility window.
That's it.

kerrydawson

Post by kerrydawson » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:19 pm

Yes I was able to get Launchbar in using your method. Now I just have to see if instant send continues to work.

gilbertw1

Post by gilbertw1 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:30 pm

I've ensured that LaunchBar is enabled in Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Accessibility, yet I am still unable to use instant send. I've tried to use it with any of the key combinations and nothing happens.

Has anyone run into this issue and NOT fixed it by updating accessibility? If so, how?

Thanks!

kerrydawson

Post by kerrydawson » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:41 pm

I'm having exactly the same problem as you. I can't fix it. I've switched over to Alfred as the only reason I use Launchbar is for that piece of functionality. If you look at the amount of memory Launchbar takes relative to Alfred, it takes a lot. I'm not leaving it running when I have to run Alfred for access to some apps that I need.

This is something the Launchbar people will want to get fixed fast as it is one of things that gives them an edge over Alfred. However, I suspect you could do this by writing a mean script to do it, it's just I can't script for the life of me.

Kerry