Drag and drop, cut and paste

General discussions about LaunchBar
urippa

Drag and drop, cut and paste

Post by urippa » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:00 pm

The (new?) drag and drop behavior in OS 10.8 (3?) which requires a click to release a dragged object is producing inconsistent results with objects dragged from LaunchBar. For example I find that when I drag an email address from LB to an email, sometimes the dragged object just floats in greyed-out limbo and will not paste/drop no matter how much I click. Any ideas?

sjk
Wizard
Wizard

Re: Drag and drop, cut and paste

Post by sjk » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:46 am

Do you have a non-LB example of that click-to-drop behavior? I've never noticed it, up to on my current 10.8.3 systems. Maybe it's a non-LB issue on yours?

urippa

Post by urippa » Tue May 14, 2013 7:13 am

@sjk I can't reproduce it consistently. What seems to be the same behaviour frequently occurs when resizing windows, especially in MS Office apps. The window will continue to move and resize even when the click has been released, and until I click again. If this is not a commonly experienced phenomenon then may be a hardware glitch. Maybe bad trackpad or battery on my well-used 2010 MBP. Unless someone knows different...

sjk
Wizard
Wizard

Post by sjk » Tue May 14, 2013 4:55 pm

The only behavior I've noticed that sounds similar, but not identical, to what you describe is when dragged objects are occasionally in a "limbo state" that prevents them from being dropped onto intended targets. Canceling and redoing the drag makes them droppable again, usually on the first retry.

Maybe you're right about intermittent hardware trouble causing the symptoms you're getting, but we're still both only speculating about that. I certainly understand how frustrating "can't reproduce at will" issues like this can be, almost always having some lurking in the background until becoming randomly disruptive again.

Hopefully you'll find the cause and a solution soon!