Option key launch conflicts with Mac Finder shortcuts

General discussions about LaunchBar
AmberV

Option key launch conflicts with Mac Finder shortcuts

Post by AmberV » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:03 pm

The execution of LaunchBar in debugging mode, via holding down the Options key to launch it, conflicts with the long-standing Finder keyboard shortcut which when held down while double-clicking, dismisses the window you double-clicked from. For example, if I hit `Shift-Cmd-A` to open /Applications and `Option double-click` on the Utilities folder, then the Finder window being used to display the Applications folder contents would be closed in the background as the Utilities window opens. Likewise if I `Option double-click` on LaunchBar, I am asking Finder to close the Applications folder window after LaunchBar is executed; that I do not need the Applications folder window open after I’m done launching the software I went there to execute.

Obviously this whole workflow probably does not make a lot of sense to those who prefer using the Microsoft Windows Explorer style Finder windows with sidebar navigation and toolbars, but to anyone using the old spatial Finder windows, the ability to drill down through folder windows and close the ones behind you automatically with `Opt-double-click` is rather integral to the entire premise of one-window-per-folder.

I suggest using instead what Apple has already set forth as a standard, the Shift key. Holding down the Shift key during the boot-up sequence will perform a “Safe Boot”, and likewise when holding down the Shift key while logging into your user account while inhibit the launching of startup items and background daemons. So holding Shift while LaunchBar loads would make for a sensible debugging startup mode.