Feature Request: Image Preview (Quickslver infidelity)

General discussions about LaunchBar
Mercuroid

Feature Request: Image Preview (Quickslver infidelity)

Post by Mercuroid » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:21 am

I would like to have an image preview showing as I browse through images in LB. Just a small thumbnail would be fine, although the size (and position and style) could be set in preferences. This could also work for iTunes album artwork.

This was one of the things that led me to a recent infidelity with Quicksilver.

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:43 pm

While I'm always open to new features and love additions to LaunchBars set, I can't really find that important: LaunchBar is no image browser, at least in my opinion.

Still, I don't want to stand in the way of new development.

Ludwig

PS: While writing this post I thought about what LaunchBar really should do: help you find what you're looking for faster. So if that task requires an image browsing capability so be it :-)

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:12 pm

I agree with Ludwig. Perhaps it would be better for LaucnhBar to tie in with Leopard's Quick Look feature, that way all supported items could be quickly previewed (not just images) using resources provided by the OS.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/fea ... klook.html

Mercuroid

Let them eat thumbnails

Post by Mercuroid » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:44 am

LaunchBar might not be an 'Image Browser' but it is an image browser in that it browses images with many templates to facilitate this. I would agree that there are better tools for more lengthy and detailed image searching but sometimes I want to open a particular image and given that I work with many image that sometimes have similar titles, it would be useful and reassuring to have a wee visual cue. I would propose that this be an optional feature for those that want it.

The iTunes request is just a wish for more gratuitous eye candy.

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:34 am

I, too, think image previews can be useful - I just doubt that the usual 16x16 pixel preview would really help.
But I also doubt that LB would break up its usual 'row style' for image previews. You say it should be set in the preferences, but I can't imagine a setting that would work without blowing up the row style.

(Right now LB doesn't even show custom icons, so maybe that should be a combined feature request: show the 'real' icons - that could be image thumbnails as well as customized icons.)

The iTunes request is not merely a wish for more gratuitous eye candy but also pretty cool (if maybe not the most essential or productivity raising feature ;-)

Ludwig

Mercuroid

separate

Post by Mercuroid » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:12 am

I'm thinking it should be a separate window, about 128 x 128 pixels or more that just appears if wanted, automatically, or with a keystroke. All set within preferences so one can take it or leave it. I do not think the bar itself should be tampered with. I made some mock-ups but then found I couldn't upload them.

macsterdam
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by macsterdam » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:06 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if we see some new features after the release of Leopard.

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:41 pm

Mercuroid,
nice ideas!
You can upload and post a link, for example here:
http://www.imagebay.com/
http://imageshack.us/

You're right in saying that the bar shouldn't be tempered with it, but I doubt that it would be clear that the image 'belongs' to LB.

Interested in seeing your pics!

ludwig

Mercuroid

eg:

Post by Mercuroid » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:51 pm

Thanks for the imagelinks Ludwig. Here they are: [url][/url]

Mercuroid

eg2:

Post by Mercuroid » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:52 pm

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:37 pm

Well, I don't want to underrate your work, but I feel it shows the problems I mentioned more than a solution. If you put the image into the actual bar, you have problems with long filenames (although they could be trimmed or the bar could be dynamically resized).
If you put it next to the bar, the preview kinda seems 'lost' to me…

I dunno, maybe a special keyboard shortcut that you press in your directory of images could just launch an iPhoto like grid of image-previews that you could scroll through…

http://myskitch.com/ludwigschubert/bild ... 193422.png

The mock-up is pretty rough, I'd like to see additional information etc.

But before we get too deep into discussion I'd like to hear a word from norbert, hear his thoughts on the whole image preview issue.

Maybe QuickLook can help here?

Anyway, thanks for your pics Mercuroid,
regards,
Ludwig

Mercuroid

Losing it

Post by Mercuroid » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:22 am

"the preview kinda seems 'lost'"

There would only be the one image and it would be a constantly changing correspondence as one scrolls through a list. There would be little chance of mentally 'losing' it unless one had a very short attention span.

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Been thinking about it again…

Post by ludwigschubert » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:33 pm

Mercuroid, you're right.

The lost statement was meant in a 'design' kind of way, but still: you're right. It's not such a big problem at all, and it would certainly be nice to have the option.

Now it's time for Objective Development to comment ;-)

regards,
Ludwig