“Search Evernote Notes” in v5.4

General discussions about LaunchBar
gabrielmcdow

“Search Evernote Notes” in v5.4

Post by gabrielmcdow » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:41 pm

The “Search Evernote Notes” functionality added in v5.4 is a step in the right direction.

It's still buggy, though. Launchbar always adds quotation marks and thus always triggers a search for quoted phrases. A search for "foobar" may yield different results than a search for foobar. For example, if I enter John in Launchbar's search field, Evernote will find notes containing "John the Baptist" but won't find notes containing "Lyndon B. Johnson". Also, San Francisco translates into an Evernote search for "San Francisco". This matches "The hills of San Francisco" but does not match "San Andreas fault near Francisco winery".

I think the user should decide whether he wants to search for quoted phrases or not.

Again, this first stage in Evernote integration is appreciated. Here's hoping for further integration in the future: Live indexing of selected notebooks (so users can open specific notes via Launchbar), display of full-text search results in Launchbar etc.!

ape
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: “Search Evernote Notes” in v5.4

Post by ape » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:37 pm

The other issue that I've seen involves the Evernote 5.0 beta.

The search field gets populated from LaunchBar, but the search never executes (even manually attempting to hit enter in the search field with the pre-filled in information doesn't execute the search. I have to clear the field and type the search items manually.

Just an FYI.

bigcloits
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bigcloits » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:19 am

Blame Evernote for the janky searching (every word quoted, good lord). The problem is definitely not with LaunchBar. I looked into triggering Evernote searches in considerable detail a few months ago, and it's pretty disappointing: buggy, limited, and no sign of improvement in a long, long time now. Evernote simply isn't supporting good searching, let alone script hooks for it. External apps are at its mercy, and it's not pretty. I was delighted to see Evernote searches available via LaunchBar, and thought maybe something had improved … but not, it's exactly the same as what I encountered.

fncll

Post by fncll » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:56 pm

I was hoping that LaunchBar would be able to access Evernote notes the way Spotlight can-- as individual subsearch items. That would be great. As it is, I am encountering the same problem with the search: EN opens with the search term but it doesn't search nor does pressing enter.. I have to re-enter the search term. Not particularly useful!

madAdam

Post by madAdam » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:33 pm

A change, but not really for the better.

Now when you launch Search Evernote with the spacebar, it "adds" a note instead of bringing up the search (and doing nothing in the search).

Any ideas for tweaking the Search Evernote string?