Can I use just ctrl key?

General discussions about LaunchBar
scgf

Can I use just ctrl key?

Post by scgf » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:12 pm

I have just bought LaunchBar after using Quicksilver for some time. I really like LaunchBar and enjoy its air of simplicity.

However, I cannot seem to configure LaunchBar to appear with just a single click of the ctrl key, like I can do with QuickSilver. I am forced to use two keys.

Is what I am trying to do not possible? If it is, does anyone know of a utility which will map the two keys needed by LaunchBar to a single press of the ctrl key?

Many thanks.

sjk
Wizard
Wizard

Post by sjk » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:20 pm

How do you use the Control key modifier in other apps if it's mapped as a global single-key activation character for Quicksilver? For example, seems to me that would interfere with its use as a default prefix for Cocoa Text System key bindings.

I dunno -- using single-key modifiers that have other intended purposes as global activation characters sounds like a temptation for troublesome usage conflicts.

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:26 pm

It has never caused me any problems - a tap of the ctrl key brings up Quicksilver, holding ctrl in combination with another key does what that is supposed to do. There is simply no crossover.

sjk
Wizard
Wizard

Post by sjk » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:46 pm

So, the difference is tapping/releasing the key vs. holding it down? In other words, QS doesn't activate until the key is released (possibly with a timeout)?

Glad it works for you though I still have my doubts it would for me based on my typing style being "sloppy" in a way that risks triggering unintended actions too often. I'm keyboard-centric, but not in an overly sensitive hot-key kind of way. :)