Does LanchBar able to index the content of “simlink” folder?

General discussions about LaunchBar
parneix
Rank 1
Rank 1

Does LanchBar able to index the content of “simlink” folder?

Post by parneix » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:18 pm

Hi,

Simple question. I’ve been playing around with Dropbox and moving folders to it so they are backed up online. In order not to mess with the original organization of those folders, I’ve created “symbolic link” or “simlink” to put in the place they use to be. That’s quite a common thing to do with Dropbox.

Now over the past days, I noticed LaunchBar wouldn’t index the symlink folder. It will index correctly the original folder I moved in my general DropBox folder. I can still search the symlink folder using LaunchBar, but when I try to assign an abbreviation to something in it, I get this message:

“The selected item is not contained in your LaunchBar index, therefore it can’t be selected via abbreviation search.”

It really is not a big deal: I can still search trough the original folder.

But here are two questions nonetheless:

1) Can LaunchBar index the content of a symlinked folder?

2) How come the content of a symlinked folder still appear in LaunchBar even though LaunchBar is telling be the content is not indexed?

Thanks,

P.

ptim
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Does LanchBar able to index the content of “simlink” folder?

Post by ptim » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:22 am

Glad to hear that someone else has noticed this - I posted about it in July, but havent had a reply yet - its killing me (all my data folders are symlinked, so my only use for abbreviations is for apps!)

My post: http://forums.obdev.at/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6789

parneix
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by parneix » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:44 am

Yeah, I’ve seen a couple of similar posts here, on LaunchBar forum, but none of them seem to have been answered. Strange since LaunchBar even has the capability of creating symlink (both absolute and relative).

See here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6068

ptim
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ptim » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:26 am

ah, great, thanks for the extra link - I sent in a bug report mentioning all three threads, which I reposted on my original thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6789&p=22659#p22659

ptim
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ptim » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:12 am

parneix
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by parneix » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:27 am

Interesting. Thanks for the research!

It does not work for me though: I never checked the 'Access via Sub Search' option.

If I add a symlinked folder manually, I can assign an abbreviation to it. But not to the subfolders it contains. I would need to manually add each and everyone of those subfolders to be able to assign an abbreviation to those. Which is not reasonable for me to do.

I keep looking around.

ptim
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ptim » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:02 am

i highly recommend filing a bug - my forum post went unnoticed for a while, but Norbert responded to my bug report pretty quickly!
http://www.obdev.at/products/launchbar/support.html?topic=bug

good luck! Tim