I can't get Lauchbar to see Application's outside apps dir

General discussions about LaunchBar
wide_eyed_pupil

I can't get Lauchbar to see Application's outside apps dir

Post by wide_eyed_pupil » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:58 am

I have most of my Adobe CS apps installed on a separate partition to by boot Partitions so I don't require multiple installs of them amongst other reasons.

Problem is Lauchbar (which I've trial for a month and can't believe I lived without all this time) can't see these apps at all.

I haven't got into sophisticated pattern making yet. What can I do to Launch PS, AI , DW etc etc.

I've tried putting aliases to these apps in the boot partition Applications Folder — no dice.

bernd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: I can't get Lauchbar to see Application's outside apps dir

Post by bernd » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:29 am

It's simple:

- open the index
- add a “new folder” by clicking on the blue folder icon with the + sign
- navigate to the folder that contains your Adobe Apps on the other volume and add it to the index

and under the "options" tab consider to choose "search for = Applications" so that LaunchBar only returns result for such. Otherwise LaunchBar will index countless other files you won't need for starting these apps.

wide_eyed_pupil

Post by wide_eyed_pupil » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:35 am

Thank you, sir.

I really like that Lauchbar remembers previous selections from listed hits since when I typed PS or DW it only found an alias and that was about 100 items down the list! Having chosen it once LB puts it at the top forever more, nice!

bernd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bernd » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:00 am

And also very cool, once you have found the wanted item in LaunchBar you can assign a dedicated abbreviation to it via ctrl-clicking the item in the results list, whichs frees you from typing abbreviations that relate to the name of the item.
I assume they added this feature many years, but I have discovered it only recently though I'm registered to LaunchBar since 2002. I must have been blinded by routine. :)

wide_eyed_pupil

Post by wide_eyed_pupil » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:14 am

Thanks @bernd Cool tip!