Updating index for home directory

General discussions about LaunchBar
bderenzi

Updating index for home directory

Post by bderenzi » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:32 am

I want to preface this by saying that I feel like I might be missing something very basic here.

I have been using LaunchBar for quite some time and it's great. Unfortunately, I have found the indexing to be rather annoying. I like the ability to search the file system, but it relies on an internal index that does not update by default. I would solve this by updating the index manually whenever it couldn't find a file I want. That got annoying, so I set it up to regularly rebuild the index. Problem is when it rebuilds the index it becomes unresponsive. And maxes out one of the cores for 10 minutes or so. That's annoying.

Is there a way to solve this? I want an always up-to-date filesystem index (at least for the home folder) that I can search in LaunchBar. You know, like spotlight. But without doing the spotlight search that opens a separate window. Not to name names, but another (many?) quick launch app supports this, which makes me feel like I'm just missing something.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks,
Brian

TomEck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Updating index for home directory

Post by TomEck » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:26 pm

Do you mean an option to schedule the indexing or to do automatic indexing? If so, take a look at the Index Window (ALT-CMD-I), select and your home folder. Right hand side of the window should appear a button called "Schedule". In the Schedule Pane you can choose between

+ "Manually": You have to trigger the index update manually, either by clicking the “Update” button in the index window’s Index pane, or by selecting one of the commands in the Configuration > Update Index menu

+ "Periodically": The index update is performed either “Once at Startup” (every time you start LaunchBar) or at the specified interval.

+ "Automatically": LaunchBar keeps an eye on the resources that it maintains. As soon as a change is detected, the index gets updated automatically.

It is explained in the manual -> Configuration -> Indes Window

Hope this helps.

bderenzi

Post by bderenzi » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:42 am

Thanks for the reply. I realize I wasn't very clear in my original post. Here is my experience with each of the index options:

Manually: This is a pain because it gets out of date unless I manually refresh it. I started with that originally, but found it to be frustrating.

Periodically: This is what I have been using. It is setup to run every day at noon. The problem is that when it does run, it spikes CPU up to 100% and LaunchBar is unresponsive for the ~10 minute indexing process. I've been living with it, but it is frustrating. This is the primary reason I've been exploring using a different launcher.

Automatically: I switched to this today to try it out, but the problem is that it still takes 10+ minutes to do the rebuild. It seems to hang on the 'writing cache' step. Is that normal?

An alternate to keeping the index up to date would be taking advantage of spotlight in some way. The spotlight search results are just fine for my file-finding/filesystem exploration purposes. One option that I know of right now is to use the 'Search in Spotlight' service. The problem with that is that I have to type out my whole query and press enter before any search happens. And when it does happen, it is in a new finder window. I was hoping to have those same results in the normal LaunchBar drop down so that I could find the file I want, press tab and do something with it.

TomEck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TomEck » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:48 am

bderenzi wrote:Periodically: This is what I have been using. It is setup to run every day at noon. The problem is that when it does run, it spikes CPU up to 100% and LaunchBar is unresponsive for the ~10 minute indexing process. I've been living with it, but it is frustrating. This is the primary reason I've been exploring using a different launcher.

I would guess that this is related to a huge file system (What is the size of your hard drive / home folder?). I do not experience such problems. Maybe you could break down the indexing process into several parts. let's assume your home folder contains 10 folders. Rather than to index the complete home folder in one step you could scheduele each folder to different times so that the indexing process should take less CPU power and time for each folder. However, the guys from OD may have a better solution.

bderenzi wrote:Automatically: I switched to this today to try it out, but the problem is that it still takes 10+ minutes to do the rebuild. It seems to hang on the 'writing cache' step. Is that normal?

Again, I do not experience this problem so that I assume that it is not normal.