Instant send is slower in 5.2

General discussions about LaunchBar
seanubis

Instant send is slower in 5.2

Post by seanubis » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:34 am

Before 5.2, when I invoked instant send with cmd-cmd, it really was instant - LB popped up immediately with my selected text.

In 5.2, when I invoke instant send with cmd-cmd, the Edit menu for the active app flashes, and LB pops up a fraction of a second later.

It's almost like they changed it from working with the pasteboard directly, to using some sort of applescript hack to invoke Copy from the Edit menu. I don't recall seeing the Edit menu flashing in the past.

A fraction of a second doesn't sound like much, but I've been using instant send 100's of times a day for the past 4 years, and my fingers are trained for the instant response now. The tiny delay is really slowing down my work, not only from the delay itself, but also from the mistakes I make because of it.

Users: anybody else notice this?

ObDev: care to comment?

manfred
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: Instant send is slower in 5.2

Post by manfred » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:18 pm

seanubis wrote:In 5.2, when I invoke instant send with cmd-cmd, the Edit menu for the active app flashes, and LB pops up a fraction of a second later.

It's almost like they changed it from working with the pasteboard directly, to using some sort of applescript hack to invoke Copy from the Edit menu. I don't recall seeing the Edit menu flashing in the past.

We've changed the implementation from using Services / AppleScript to using the Pasteboard. While previously the application name in the menu flashed, it's now the edit menu.

seanubis wrote:A fraction of a second doesn't sound like much, but I've been using instant send 100's of times a day for the past 4 years, and my fingers are trained for the instant response now. The tiny delay is really slowing down my work, not only from the delay itself, but also from the mistakes I make because of it.

We can't see any performance differences between the two approaches. Would be nice if you can send us a short screencast via email and illustrate the issue. Thanks!

Was
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Was » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:50 pm

Manfred, should using the pasteboard make any difference to instant send's performance when working with Carbon apps (e.g. Microsoft Word)?

I've noticed it now working more reliably, but can't tell whether I'm just making it up. Might be worth mentioning in your changelog if so...

manfred
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by manfred » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:46 pm

Yes Was, it should work more reliable especially with the Finder but also for Non-Cocoa Apps.