LaunchBar 4.3.2 released!

General discussions about LaunchBar
norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

LaunchBar 4.3.2 released!

Post by norbert » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:02 pm

We've just released a maintenance update for LaunchBar.

It can be downloaded from http://www.obdev.at/launchbar/download.html.

Here's a list of changes:
  • Smart Calculator Input: Square brackets can be entered as an alternative to parentheses. The Equals sign can be typed to enter '+'. A lowercase 'x' can be used for multiplications. In some cases the multiplication operator can be omitted at all, for example in "17(3+5)" or "2pi". Please see the LaunchBar Help for details.
  • Smart Brackets: Calculator automatically inserts closing brackets if appropriate. Entering a bracket puts selected text in brackets instead of replacing it. Smart Brackets can be turned off in LaunchBar preferences.
  • Improved application switcher: Press Command-H to hide the selected application, press Command-Option-F to force quit the selected application.
  • Improved mounted volumes ordering: removable media (CDs, DVDs, mounted disk images) are now listed above other ejectable volumes.
  • New preference option: "Convert filename extension to lowercase when renaming a file".
  • New preference option: "Append English filename if different from localized name". Users with a non-English language preference can use this option to search for applications by their English name (e.g. "Preview" instead of "Vorschau").
  • Opening x-launchbar search templates (Large Type, Go to, etc.) with Return now always triggers "Enter Text", regardless of the preference setting for opening search templates.
  • Revised documentation for application switcher and Calculator.
  • Fixed an issue causing abbreviations that didn't yield a search result to be turned into text items.
  • Fixed an issue causing the first name / last name preference of Address Book not being considered in contact details.
  • Fixed an issue related to browsing recent documents of BBEdit.
  • Fixed an issue in Calculator with results close to zero.
  • Fixed an issue with Calculator, which wrongly removed surrounding parentheses from expressions.
  • Improved compatibility with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.
Last edited by norbert on Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

veke
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by veke » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:02 pm

Any chance you could add Sparkle-updating? That would be great!!

F451
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by F451 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:17 pm

veke wrote:Any chance you could add Sparkle-updating? That would be great!!

I second that motion too! I love the updates and tweaks, plus the latest beta. Thanks for such a great application, it's one of my top-five must-have applications.

George the Flea
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by George the Flea » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:05 pm

Even just having the app notify me when a new version as released (whether or not it updated itself) would be nice.

Although Sparkle updating is definitely preferable to having to trek to the website, download it, quit it, overwrite it, and launch it again.

eth0

Post by eth0 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:09 pm

Yeah, I second that too.

BravoAlpha

Post by BravoAlpha » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:05 pm

Sparkle-type functionality would be nice.

I'd also appreciate a link to the download page in these announcements (even though I know where to find it).

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:12 pm

BravoAlpha wrote:I'd also appreciate a link to the download page in these announcements (even though I know where to find it).

I've added the link. Thanks for the pointer!

vinay

Re: Sparkle

Post by vinay » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:44 pm

Yep, and with sparkle the only extra work you really have to do is link the framework in, add a key to the Info.plist, and point the appcast enclosure to the dmg.

It's pretty easy to use.

With the future of Sparkle bright, and something along the lines of a sparkle update app coming along, I think it's worth it.

RaddishIoW

Sparkle

Post by RaddishIoW » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:52 pm

I use Sparkle to keep my users up-to-date, and it's absolutely brilliant, and soo easy to install in your app.

I specifically came to this forum because I wanted to ask about Sparkle support in Launchbar. :-)

GVansteelant

Leopard

Post by GVansteelant » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:21 am

Out of curiosity and now that Leopard is almost upon us, how are you guys going to handle Spaces with Launchbar?
It seems to ad an extra layer of complexity regarding preferred behaviour to me.
Do you switch to another space when you select an app that's already running in that space or create a new window in the space the user is currently viewing?

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:58 pm

It will behave the same as when you open documents or switch applications via Finder, Dock or Command-Tab.

LaunchBar uses the standard System API for opening files and applications, so you you will get consistent behavior across the board.

eykanal

Post by eykanal » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:16 pm

I just wanted to add another vote for adding Sparkle auto-update functionality. I came here specifically to ask about this (I see that another poster did, also) and I see its an eagerly-anticipated feature. Looking forward to it!

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:09 pm

@eyekanal:

If you really want Objective Development to know, then you could ask for sparkle here:
http://www.obdev.at/products/launchbar/ ... sion=&cpu=

I, too, think that Sparkle would be great!

sincerely,
Ludwig