LaunchBar crashes every time

General discussions about LaunchBar
rlfsoso

LaunchBar crashes every time

Postby rlfsoso » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:49 am

Hi,
I'm running 10.6.8 on a C2D MacBookPro, 3GB Ram. This morning Launchbar started to crash every single time, giving me a crashreport (already sent in).
I tried the following:
relaunch LB - no dice
restart - no dice

removed pref-file - no dice
removed LaunchBar folder from Application Support – no dice

installed the latest nightly - no dice

safe restart with latest nightly - no dice

LaunchBar4 works so I am not totally in the blue but this really is annoying. I cannot recall any significant changes to my system since LaunchBar showed this behavior.

I have reported this in, but still… anything else I might try? I am using LB quite a lot though mostly as a launcher, not to do AppleScript-tricks

Thanks a bunch,

Rolf

effkay

Re: LaunchBar crashes every time

Postby effkay » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:02 pm

I second this.

In my case, this behavior started after upgrading to the latest OSX Lion version - 10.7.3. MacBook Pro 17" 8GB RAM. Launchbar seems to run for a few seconds before it crashes. Removing Launchbar completely and rebooting has no effect.

Quote from the Crash report:
***Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '-[__NSCFConstantString objectForKey:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance [Mem-address]

rlfsoso

Postby rlfsoso » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:16 pm

Hi,
well I'm still on SnowLeopard…

excerpt from CrashReport:

"…
Thread 4 Crashed:
0 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x0161ea37 ___TERMINATING_DUE_TO_UNCAUGHT_EXCEPTION___ + 7
…"
Anyway this is for the developers and they sure will have a look into it.
regards,

Rolf

Martin BB

Postby Martin BB » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:57 pm

I've got exactly the same problem -- LaunchBar throws an exception every time it tries to launch. The problem started yesterday when the application just quit unexpectedly for no apparent reason in the middle of normal working. I've deleted caches, repaired permissions, re-installed and done all the usual things, but no go. No idea what might be causing it. I'm on 10.7.3. Already submitted a crash report.

Martin.

johannes
Objective Development
Objective Development

Postby johannes » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:15 pm

This "NSInvalidArgumentException" crash is fixed in the current Nightly Build of LaunchBar (5.2-nightly-906).

This pre-release version is available via manual download from http://www.obdev.at/launchbar/download.html (under "Nightly Builds").

You could also use the integrated auto-update feature (if you enable "Show pre-release version" in the "Update" preferences of LaunchBar), but as this bug crashes LaunchBar before you get there you would need to start LaunchBar in debug mode (by pressing and holding the Option key while starting LaunchBar - this will temporarily disable the indexing process that leads to the crash).

Explanation:
This crash was caused by faulty Info.plist files of other installed apps (e.g. recently this was the case with the latest Pixelmator update).

LaunchBar tries to read these files when creating the list of services these apps provide. If the file contains syntactical errors, LaunchBar could crash.

The Nightly Build now shields LaunchBar against such faulty Info.plist files.

Martin BB

Postby Martin BB » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:33 pm

Thanks for the information -- I'd already found and installed the nightly build and was very relieved to find that it worked.

The information about Pixelmator also chimes in with my experience -- I had just updated to the latest version. Nice of Pixelmator to give us a problem! I hope they know about it.

Thanks again,
Martin.

rlfsoso

Postby rlfsoso » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:21 pm

Hi,

unfortunately this does not (yet) work for me. Crashreport sent in
Rolf

johannes
Objective Development
Objective Development

Postby johannes » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:15 pm

Thx for the report Rolf!
Just looked into the additional crash dump you've sent in - unfortunately in your case there are/where two different problems - one was really solved by the new Nightly Build - the other one wasn't.

Will get back to you directly via the support ticket...

kayalaunch

Postby kayalaunch » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:31 pm

Was having same problem and just installed this build. Now, launchbar isn't working at all. I can bring up LB, but it isn't recognizing any keyboard input. (my kb shortcut pulls it up, but any subsequent keyboard input does nothing.) help...please. I tried updating the index but it didn't seem to do anything.

johannes
Objective Development
Objective Development

Postby johannes » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:15 pm

kayalaunch wrote:I can bring up LB, but it isn't recognizing any keyboard input. (my kb shortcut pulls it up, but any subsequent keyboard input does nothing.) help...please. I tried updating the index but it didn't seem to do anything.

As there were no other reports of this Nightly Build generating such behavior it must be an issue closely related to your specific configuration. To clarify, please contact us directly via the support page http://www.obdev.at/support/

neutralbay

Postby neutralbay » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:26 am

I'm on the same page here - hoping the nightly build helps. I to had JUST purchased/updated to the latest version of Pixelmator. What a nice coincidence... not.

Thanks for staying on top of this.

Michael

SgtPepper007

Postby SgtPepper007 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:25 am

kayalaunch wrote:Was having same problem and just installed this build. Now, launchbar isn't working at all. I can bring up LB, but it isn't recognizing any keyboard input. (my kb shortcut pulls it up, but any subsequent keyboard input does nothing.) help...please. I tried updating the index but it didn't seem to do anything.

Hi,
I have exactly the same problem here. Just cursor keys and URLs (when hitting ".") work.

SgtPepper007

Postby SgtPepper007 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:34 am

Ok, solved the problem. All indexing rules were switched of.

johannes
Objective Development
Objective Development

Postby johannes » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:43 am

Please note that when you start LaunchBar in Debug Mode (by holding the Option key when starting it), one of the available debug options is to disable all indexing rules. This is useful to find the one specific rule that might be the culprit.

But if you quit LaunchBar then and answer the question whether to save the current rule set, you might end up with a set of all disabled rules.

So either do not safe the rule set, or first re-enable all rules that you want to keep enabled.

volpik

Postby volpik » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:38 pm

Same problem here,
crash every time, what is the correct solution for the problem?

Return to “LaunchBar General”