Apple Messages does not appear in LaunchBar

General discussions about LaunchBar
monoclast

Apple Messages does not appear in LaunchBar

Post by monoclast » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:13 pm

I installed Apple's recently released Messages beta yesterday and am unable to figure out how to get LaunchBar to see it. As you can see the application is in the /Applications folder right next to LaunchBar itself:
For some reason, after updating the entire index, and even after updating the Applications index specifically, the Messages application is absent from the list:
Any ideas welcome!

ape
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Apple Messages does not appear in LaunchBar

Post by ape » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:19 pm

I noticed this also. Further investigation shows that even though Messages.app overwrote iChat.app, the iChat entry still shows up in the LaunchBar index. For now, I just created an alias through the LaunchBar index to rename the iChat entry to Messages.

I have a feeling this is related to the other issue of the Applications index not being updated properly (in the case of the nightly build).

mbumpi

Post by mbumpi » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:43 pm

me too.
launching iChat gets Messages
turning off/on Use Spotlight Index did not seem to matter.
I also changed the app name to the alias "Messages", seems to work.

Jaharmi
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Jaharmi » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:03 pm

I just enter "ichat" as that's what I've been typing into LaunchBar for years, anyway. Checking out the Info.plist for the Messages Public Beta, it looks like it identifies itself as iChat 6.1 everywhere but in the .app filename we see in the Finder.

manfred
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by manfred » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:25 pm

Not only the Info.plist but also the actual file on disk is called iChat.app. Apple used the localization feature built into OS X to rename iChat to Messages. Anyhow Nightly Build 5.2-907 fixed this issue.