[req] previews

General discussions about LaunchBar
Post Reply
macsterdam
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:22 pm

[req] previews

Post by macsterdam » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:23 pm

I was wondering if you have any plans to add a preview option to Launchbar? I would love to be able to quickly see images and movies thumbnails.

Thanks

zxspectrum

Also

Post by zxspectrum » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:42 pm

yes, this could be extremely helpful...also, i can't really use LB on my 30" monitor since the icons preview is 16x16! i really hope that they will fix this.

macsterdam
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:22 pm

Post by macsterdam » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:45 pm

With regards to the small icons, I believe LB will become resolution independent with Leopard - vaguely remember reading this. Who knows, it might even use the quickview engine then for previews ;)

F451
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:24 pm

Post by F451 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:04 pm

Since Softchaos Limited disappeared off the face of the earth, and I am wondering Apple did not purchase them for the preview technology they used in WorkStrip? I hold on dearly to my copy of WorkStrip and dread the day it ceases working. Apple used to sell Softchaos Limited products in their brick-and-mortar stores.

I know what you are saying about the preview feature...very helpful.

Guest

Re: Also

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:25 pm

zxspectrum wrote:yes, this could be extremely helpful...also, i can't really use LB on my 30" monitor since the icons preview is 16x16! i really hope that they will fix this.


That doesn't make any sense to me. The dot pitch of Apple's 30" Cinema Display is the same as their smaller displays: roughly 100 dpi. So it shouldn't matter if you have a 20" or a 30", those 16x16 pixel icons still appear to be the same size. Sure, you've got the room for them to be larger, but the icons don't appear any smaller or less usable than on any other Apple desktop display.

OTOH, if you're using a new hi res 17" MacBook Pro with a 133 dpi display, they're going to appear smaller.

Having said that, I personally wouldn't mind if there was an option to make the icons slightly larger.

Guest

Re: Also

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:00 pm

Guest wrote:
zxspectrum wrote:yes, this could be extremely helpful...also, i can't really use LB on my 30" monitor since the icons preview is 16x16! i really hope that they will fix this.


That doesn't make any sense to me. The dot pitch of Apple's 30" Cinema Display is the same as their smaller displays: roughly 100 dpi. So it shouldn't matter if you have a 20" or a 30", those 16x16 pixel icons still appear to be the same size. Sure, you've got the room for them to be larger, but the icons don't appear any smaller or less usable than on any other Apple desktop display.

OTOH, if you're using a new hi res 17" MacBook Pro with a 133 dpi display, they're going to appear smaller.

Having said that, I personally wouldn't mind if there was an option to make the icons slightly larger.


what are you talking about? of course it's the same size (16x16)...but try searching LB when sitting 1-meter away from the display!

LB should support multiple sizes 64, 128 and even bigger when 10.5 will arrive.

Harvey

Re: Also

Post by Harvey » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:34 pm

Anonymous wrote:what are you talking about? of course it's the same size (16x16)...but try searching LB when sitting 1-meter away from the display!


I think a lot of people don't really grasp the concept of display resolution, pixel density, and virtual size vs. real-world size. Just because an object is 16 x 16 pixels doesn't mean it appears as the same size on all screens. Here's an example to help you understand:

If your screen has 100 pixels per inch, a 100x100 pixel square appears as 1" wide. If someone else has a 200 dpi screen, that same 100x100 pixel square is going appear as only a half inch wide.

The poster with the 30" display said the icons were too small on his display. But his display has roughly the same pixel density as all of Apple's other desktop monitors. So the icons don't look any smaller - they appear exactly the same size as everybody else's!

As for sitting a meter away, the same problem exists with every other display. The answer? Don't sit so far away! Yeah, OK, maybe you need to sit a little farther back to take in the big 30" without have to turn your head. Life is rough.

john45

icon size

Post by john45 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:46 pm

For me, it's not so much the icon size. They look to be the same size as the icons used in the Spotlight result list - which is fine.

What I'd like to see is an option for a larger font in LB's result list, maybe a 12pt Lucida Grande like Spotlight uses with slightly greater line spacing. That would make things a lot more readable for me.

Guest

Re: Also

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:00 pm

Harvey wrote:
Anonymous wrote:what are you talking about? of course it's the same size (16x16)...but try searching LB when sitting 1-meter away from the display!


I think a lot of people don't really grasp the concept of display resolution, pixel density, and virtual size vs. real-world size. Just because an object is 16 x 16 pixels doesn't mean it appears as the same size on all screens. Here's an example to help you understand:

If your screen has 100 pixels per inch, a 100x100 pixel square appears as 1" wide. If someone else has a 200 dpi screen, that same 100x100 pixel square is going appear as only a half inch wide.

The poster with the 30" display said the icons were too small on his display. But his display has roughly the same pixel density as all of Apple's other desktop monitors. So the icons don't look any smaller - they appear exactly the same size as everybody else's!

As for sitting a meter away, the same problem exists with every other display. The answer? Don't sit so far away! Yeah, OK, maybe you need to sit a little farther back to take in the big 30" without have to turn your head. Life is rough.


1. "...Don't sit so far away!" - have you ever own a 30" display?

2. "The poster with the 30" display said the icons were too small....." - the icons APPEAR small!

3. Here's an example to help you understand:

you go to a tennis game and you seat in the 1st row and everything is perfect..next time try seating in the upper deck. if you ever been in a tennis game you will get my point...and yes, the ball size didn't change;)

Post Reply