How to activate "Enter Text" Search Template

General discussions about LaunchBar
sampler

How to activate "Enter Text" Search Template

Post by sampler » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:00 am

In LB 4.3's Help, there is an illustration of an" Enter Text" search template. (Help: "Text Items" under "What's New?") How is this template activated?

-Steve

George the Flea
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by George the Flea » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:15 am

You can get to it like any search template: type ENTER (or something similar, then select it from the list) and hit space or enter to enter the text. If you assign something short to it (like E or EN), you can also use the instant launch to get to it quickly.

sampler

Post by sampler » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:45 am

Thanks, George. I can't invoke the template, and it doesn't appear anywhere in the items indexed in the Configuration. What am I missing?

-Steve
Last edited by sampler on Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:49 am

sampler wrote:What am I missing?

The "Enter Text" search template :wink:

Code: Select all

x-launchbar:select?string=*

To get the latest factory search templates, you have to restore them as described in the Configuration > Search Templates chapter of the LaunchBar Help.

sampler

Post by sampler » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Thank you, Norbert!

petere

Enter text

Post by petere » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:32 am

George the Flea wrote:You can get to it like any search template: type ENTER (or something similar, then select it from the list) and hit space or enter to enter the text. If you assign something short to it (like E or EN), you can also use the instant launch to get to it quickly.

I'm missing something too. I have not been able to enter text either. I tried typing ENTER as someone suggested but this results in a number of items such as AB entries , web sites etc.

petere

petere

Post by petere » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:39 am

norbert wrote:
sampler wrote:What am I missing?

The "Enter Text" search template :wink:

Code: Select all

x-launchbar:select?string=*

To get the latest factory search templates, you have to restore them as described in the Configuration > Search Templates chapter of the LaunchBar Help.

I still can't enter text. In QS the enter text mode is invoked by "." , text is entered and can then be sent to e-mail etc etc. How do I do this in LaunchBar?

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: petere

Post by norbert » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:23 am

petere wrote:I still can't enter text. In QS the enter text mode is invoked by "." , text is entered and can then be sent to e-mail etc etc. How do I do this in LaunchBar?

Please note that in most cases you don't need to use Enter Text at all. It's much faster to select the "send target" first, and then press Space to enter the text.

So for example, to prepare an email message, select the email address in LaunchBar and press Space, to perform a Google search, select the Google search template and press Space, to send text to an AppleScript, select the script and press Space, etc.

JoDo

Enter text through "enter text"

Post by JoDo » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:44 pm

To enter text to send to google, new mail, etc, activate Launchbar (cmd+shift), enter suitable abbreviation to get "enter text" ("et" works for me), hit shift, start typing. A bit more roundabout than just hitting "." after activation: but the latter is reserved for www addresses in Launchbar and, as norbert pointed out, it is quicker to go straight for the send target.

eth0

Post by eth0 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:00 pm

Remember that you can assign abbreviations to elements. I've assigned the dash character to the Enter Text item, so I can invoke LaunchBar and hold down "-" to enter text.

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:27 pm

But once again, as stated above, there's usually no need to use Enter Text at all.

petere

Re: petere

Post by petere » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:54 pm

norbert wrote:
petere wrote:I still can't enter text. In QS the enter text mode is invoked by "." , text is entered and can then be sent to e-mail etc etc. How do I do this in LaunchBar?

Please note that in most cases you don't need to use Enter Text at all. It's much faster to select the "send target" first, and then press Space to enter the text.

So for example, to prepare an email message, select the email address in LaunchBar and press Space, to perform a Google search, select the Google search template and press Space, to send text to an AppleScript, select the script and press Space, etc.

Thank you for your help.

petere

Re: Enter text through "enter text"

Post by petere » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:55 pm

JoDo wrote:To enter text to send to google, new mail, etc, activate Launchbar (cmd+shift), enter suitable abbreviation to get "enter text" ("et" works for me), hit shift, start typing. A bit more roundabout than just hitting "." after activation: but the latter is reserved for www addresses in Launchbar and, as norbert pointed out, it is quicker to go straight for the send target.

Thank you for your help.

petere

Post by petere » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:59 pm

eth0 wrote:Remember that you can assign abbreviations to elements. I've assigned the dash character to the Enter Text item, so I can invoke LaunchBar and hold down "-" to enter text.

How do you do this?

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:45 am

Select an item and press Command-Option-A to invoke the "Assign Abbreviation" command.