Launchbar Manual

General discussions about LaunchBar
SteveH
Rank 1
Rank 1

Launchbar Manual

Post by SteveH » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:54 pm

Having just moved up to 4.3 I was keen to use some of the more advanced features of LaunchBar and wondered if a comprehensive user manual is available covering some of the more advanced operations available through the application.

I know that Quicksilver has a user manual (which is 119 pages long!) and available as a PDF. It's really handy to have something to study in detail and the PDF searching is generally better than a help file.

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:57 pm

The LaunchBar manual is currently available in HTML only. It's accessible from LaunchBar's Help menu and it covers all of LaunchBar's functionality, including the new features introduced in version 4.3.

If anything is missing from the manual, please let me know!

I agree that a PDF documentation would be nice. Anybody out there who can recommend a good tool for converting HTML into PDF (preserving all hyperlinks)?

zarathustra

Post by zarathustra » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:06 pm

norbert wrote:If anything is missing from the manual, please let me know!

It seems Instant Send doesn't work when the dock icon is hidden. Maybe a note would be good.

norbert wrote:I agree that a PDF documentation would be nice. Anybody out there who can recommend a good tool for converting HTML into PDF (preserving all hyperlinks)?

I'm not aware of all the tools but my first guess would be InDesign. I'm not sure how well it converts to HTML but I imagine it's decent. Keeping the TOC as a frame when doing HTML and doing PDFs with a TOC shouldn't be a problem.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:22 pm

norbert wrote:The LaunchBar manual is currently available in HTML only. It's accessible from LaunchBar's Help menu and it covers all of LaunchBar's functionality, including the new features introduced in version 4.3.

I'll check it out this evening, thanks.
I agree that a PDF documentation would be nice. Anybody out there who can recommend a good tool for converting HTML into PDF (preserving all hyperlinks)?

One option would be to have a common starting point of, say, DocBook. I know this can be transformed to both HTML and PDF and preserves hyperlinks.

macsterdam
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by macsterdam » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:04 pm

If you print an html file, but instead of actually printing it, you save it as pdf, the links stay in tact. However, the links don't work if they link text which are on different frames.

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:17 pm

macsterdam wrote:If you print an html file, but instead of actually printing it, you save it as pdf, the links stay in tact. However, the links don't work if they link text which are on different frames.

The LaunchBar Help consists of independent HTML files containing lots of cross references between them. These links are lost when printing to PDF.
Last edited by norbert on Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

macsterdam
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by macsterdam » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:23 pm

that was indeed what I was trying to say. :D and :(

alterego

Post by alterego » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:49 pm

I just noticed this topic, being a relatively new member, although having been a longtime LaunchBar user and addict.

I too was looking for a printed manual, and finding there is no PDF version, I opened Acrobat and created a PDF from web site. I just placed the Help folder from inside LaunchBar in my Documents folder, pointed Acrobat at the Index.html and created a very nice, 157 page, 1.5MB PDF with all links and cross-linking intact. Works well for me.

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:41 am

alterego wrote:I just noticed this topic, being a relatively new member, although having been a longtime LaunchBar user and addict.

I too was looking for a printed manual, and finding there is no PDF version, I opened Acrobat and created a PDF from web site. I just placed the Help folder from inside LaunchBar in my Documents folder, pointed Acrobat at the Index.html and created a very nice, 157 page, 1.5MB PDF with all links and cross-linking intact. Works well for me.

I tried following your instructions, but keep getting an error. Could you possibly explain the procedure again, I must be missing something

anika200

Post by anika200 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:53 am

It seems obvious but where is the html version of the help file? spotlight could not locate it on my system.

hombre

Location of help file

Post by hombre » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:00 am

anika200 wrote:It seems obvious but where is the html version of the help file? spotlight could not locate it on my system.

/Applications/LaunchBar.app/Contents/Resources/Help/index.html

Matze

Post by Matze » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:53 pm

alterego wrote:I just noticed this topic, being a relatively new member, although having been a longtime LaunchBar user and addict.

Hi,

I can not open the index.html via Acrobat, it's greyed (inactive). Can you please describe the way you did this in detail?

Nick Sloan

Post by Nick Sloan » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:01 am

index.html is probably greyed out because you have the file type popup set to Adobe PDF Files and not All Files.

The complete sequence of operations is
1) Control-click on LaunchBar.app: Show Package Contents.
2) Navigate through Contents: Resources: Help, and locate index.html.
3) Drag index.html onto Acrobat (or open via Open dialog with “All Files” selected at the bottom). A progress dialog should appear briefly in Acrobat, and then the Help opening screen should appear in an Acrobat window.
4) At this point, only the opening screen has been converted to pdf. Now you will have to click in turn on each of the topics listed in the sidebar, returning to the index page (by clicking on LaunchBar Help in the Acrobat bookmak list) after each page has loaded.
5) When all topics/pages appear as Acrobat bookmarks, save, and you should have a new pdf manual for LaunchBar with all links intact. At least this worked for me yesterday, in Tiger.