LaunchBar 4.3 released!

General discussions about LaunchBar
norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: Result Menu

Post by norbert » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:06 pm

BravoAlpha wrote:I have the actual bar located in the bottom left corner of my primary display. After installing this update, the Result Menu shows up underneath the bar instead of on top

That's a side effect of LaunchBar's new appearance. We are considering to re-add support for the bottom screen location in a later version.

UPDATE: This issue will be addressed in LaunchBar 4.3.1
Last edited by norbert on Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:37 pm

norbert wrote:
joel wrote:The 4.3 release doesn't display my generic folder customized icons like it did in previous versions. It does some but not others. I can't find a pattern to it ... It does the default folders in / and ~ fine though. If I right arrow through a folder, the next folders viewed will be the windows default ones.

Previous versions of LaunchBar didn't display customized file or folder icons either (except for folders in ~, / and /Users/Shared). We do this for better performance and a smaller memory footprint. And it helps to indicate the type of a selected item more unambiguously.

So... Is there a way to get the actual icon of the actual folder I am using instead of the default mac os x ones?

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:56 pm

Anonymous wrote:So... Is there a way to get the actual icon of the actual folder I am using instead of the default mac os x ones?

You might change LaunchBar.app/Contents/Resources/Folder.tiff. You will then have to delete LaunchBar's icon cache at ~/Library/Caches/LaunchBar/Icons.cache and restart LaunchBar.

I've filed an enhancement request to use the system's actual folder icon in the first place to avoid the need for this patch.

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:30 pm

Well… if you're using custom icons in ~, why shouldn't you let the user decide by adding an option 'enable custom icons (might be slower)' in the configuration dialogue.
Some users (like me) have their actual home directory somewhere else, so they don't get spamm ed by all the apps that write into ~, it would be nice to add support for this :-)

I love the update, though!
LaunchBar looks gorgeous now, although a bit out of place in good old Tiger ;-)

greets,
ludwig

macsterdam
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by macsterdam » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:58 pm

norbert wrote:
Anonymous wrote:So... Is there a way to get the actual icon of the actual folder I am using instead of the default mac os x ones?

You might change LaunchBar.app/Contents/Resources/Folder.tiff.

That what I did. I'm a Uno and don't care much for pinstripes. So, I moved some files in resources, to make Launchbar blend in with the rest of the OS even more.

This is what it looks like

Love the new look of the launchbar 'bar' though - very very nice indeed!!

F451
Rank 1
Rank 1

Liger ShapeShifter Theme with LaunchBar

Post by F451 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:24 pm

I use Liger with ShapeShifter and LaunchBar looks great.

rhywun
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rhywun » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:11 pm

The new version looks fantastic! I especially like the new look (larger font?), and the new iTunes stuff (rating! I was just wishing for that). I can't wait to check out some of the other new functionality.

BravoAlpha

Re: Result Menu

Post by BravoAlpha » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:53 am

norbert wrote:UPDATE: This issue will be addressed in LaunchBar 4.3.1

:)

Jono
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jono » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:08 pm

I can understand custom icons being disabled for the sake of speed. But I'd really like this to be an option you can enable in Preferences if you want to (as I see plenty of others would).

I don't overload my catalogue with unnecessary stuff, & don't index down through a lot of sub folders. So it shouldn't slow things down (hasn't done in Quicksilver or Butler in the past).

Nick Sloan

Post by Nick Sloan » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:29 pm

I'd like to add a loud vote too, for LaunchBar to give the option of displaying custom file and folder icons. As well as two more votes for the option of larger icons and larger font sizes. I sit about three feet from a large screen, and while I can read the list, it would be much easier to do so if both icons and text were bigger.

These interface quibbles are about the only thing I would want to change in LaunchBar. It is particularly tantalising when an app is as good as this, but has one obvious defect. I look forward confidently (and appreciatively) to practical perfection.