Request dialog to replace existing items after move or copy

General discussions about LaunchBar
sampler

Request dialog to replace existing items after move or copy

Post by sampler » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:49 pm

When, in the Finder, I copy or move an item to a folder, if there is an existing item of the same name, the Finder issues a warning of this and gives an option of replacing or canceling the operation.

In LB, I use copy and "paste" items into folders, via CMD-C and CMD-V. When there is an existing item of the same name, I get the warning but no option of replacing.

Please add that option.

Note: I get the same behavior when I drag and drop the item onto the folder in LB, even if I set the "Same as Finder" as the "Drop onto Folder" option in the "Drag and Drop" preference tab.

Thanks,

Steven

earthsaver

Post by earthsaver » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:02 pm

I, too, have been perturbed to no end that there has been a preference item for Same as Finder for move/copy operations, but never a replace choice presented as appropriate. Among the multitude of improvements introduced in 4.3, which I'm thrilled to see, I'm surprised this one is still missing. I'd be curious to know why it's such a challenge for you to implement. Italone would make an enormous difference in my workflow and productivity.

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:05 pm

This is a top priority issue on the list. It was actually planned for 4.3, but we didn't want to delay this release any further.

ZevEisenberg

Post by ZevEisenberg » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:07 am

Not to belabor the point, but any chance of getting it now, 1.5 years later?

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:13 am

I usually try to be as helpful as I can in these forums, and sensible too.

However…

ZevEisenberg wrote:[…]any chance of getting it now, 1.5 years later?

…ROFL.

There you have it. You're so right, ZevEisenberg. It's really a bit of a sad story with LaunchBar – the greatest tool that I use, but oh so much less than it could be.

Dennis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dennis » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:23 pm

This is so true. It would be nice to know, at least, if LaunchBar is under active development. Can we expect some of these feature requests in a future version?

It looks like there's a recent nightly build at:

http://www.obdev.at/products/launchbar/nightly.html

I guess that's a good sign, even if it is only bug fixes.

-Dennis

FredSmith
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FredSmith » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:13 pm

ludwigschubert wrote:I usually try to be as helpful as I can in these forums, and sensible too.

However…

ZevEisenberg wrote:[…]any chance of getting it now, 1.5 years later?

…ROFL.

There you have it. You're so right, ZevEisenberg. It's really a bit of a sad story with LaunchBar – the greatest tool that I use, but oh so much less than it could be.

Yeah, that made me chuckle as well. ... :D

I think the big three keyboard launchers have pretty much ground to a halt. Until one makes a move, then the other two will do nothing. Bit like being stuck on a small three exit roundabout.

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:24 pm

Three? That would be Quicksilver, LaunchBar and… who?

BTW, I asked the Objective Development about a specific feature (Yojimbo Indexing) and they said they had a whole new category for this sort of stuff in planning, so it _seems_ like they are still developing LaunchBar.
I just don't understand their priorities.

earthsaver

Post by earthsaver » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:26 pm

ludwigschubert wrote:Three? That would be Quicksilver, LaunchBar and…
Butler

FredSmith
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FredSmith » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:52 am

ludwigschubert wrote:Three? That would be Quicksilver, LaunchBar and… who?

BTW, I asked the Objective Development about a specific feature (Yojimbo Indexing) and they said they had a whole new category for this sort of stuff in planning, so it _seems_ like they are still developing LaunchBar.
I just don't understand their priorities.

Well I'm not holding my breath ... :D

Still, even if it's pretty much stagnant, it's still much better than the competition.

Butler is a little too complicated to set up and Quicksilver just crashes all the time on my machine.