5.1 and Cmd+T (Open in terminal)

General discussions about LaunchBar
aristidesfl
Rank 3
Rank 3

5.1 and Cmd+T (Open in terminal)

Post by aristidesfl » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:53 pm

I'm currently using iTerm 2 in full screen, but I believe it also happens in Terminal.

Before 5.1, when using Command+T to open selected folder in terminal, launchbar would issue a cd command in the currently open iTerm/Terminal window.

Since 5.1, it seems to open a new window, before changing directory. This is extremely annoying specially for someone who is using iTerm in full screen, because the new window, doesn't even open in full screen (for some unknown reason).

I was happy with the old behavior and that is the one I would like to have, but if this is not a bug, and you insist in opening a new window before cd, please open a new tab instead.

Thanks

Screen shot 2011-07-18 at 1.49.46 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-07-18 at 1.49.46 PM.png (182.27 KiB) Viewed 5705 times

bartekb81

Re: 5.1 and Cmd+T (Open in terminal)

Post by bartekb81 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:37 am

I made a small workaround for this issue in Terminal.app

- assign a custom keyboard shortcut (via Keyboard prefs pane) to the Terminal's Window menu command called 'Merge All Windows'; I use Cmd+Shift+J

- whenever I use cmd+T in LB (which opens a new Terminal window), I hit Cmd+Shift+J - the newly opened window gets 'merged' with the previous one immediately

not a perfect solution but it does the trick.

aristidesfl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aristidesfl » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:43 am

Hey, thanks for sharing..

but that's not even a smooth.. join the window manually? I prefer to have it laying around that having to manually join hit.

Launchbar fix this please..

(and no it doesn't do the trick)

tjobbins

Post by tjobbins » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:54 am

Just started using Launchbar and love it!

This terminal bug/feature is bugging me too.

I use iTerm 2 and when I issue some terminal command in Launchbar ,it opens a new iTerm window rather than using my current one. Please have it open a new tab in the existing window.

A note on the previous poster's comment: It has to create a new tab (a new session in the existing window), it can't use any existing window! That would be chaos, I have loads of iTerm2 sessions open, some might be remote servers, and most will be in places that I want them to be, I don't want them to randomly issue commands in any tab it finds open. Worse, if I was running some interactive command in that terminal, Launchbar wouldn't know and would start issuing commands into an unknown program which could be very annoying or dangerous.

If there was a way for Launchbar to have its own session, and for it to *always* use that session (opening it if it wasn't open, and using the existing one if it's already open), that would be OK - but even then, I'm not sure I'd like it. Sometimes it'd be good (reduce tab clutter), other times I might have continued on doing stuff after a previous Launchbar command and would again dislike it to have the directory suddenly changed and new commands issued, and again this could be dangerous.

Of course we could both be satisfied if it was an option - best of all worlds.

aristidesfl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aristidesfl » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:39 am

I agree. A new tab seems a better option.
The old behavior though, was to issue a command in the current session.

If I've to choose between old session and new window, I prefer old session.
Of course the perfect solution would be new tab

aristidesfl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aristidesfl » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:54 pm

bump

aristidesfl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aristidesfl » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:21 am

aristidesfl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aristidesfl » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:27 pm

iTerm 2 has changed his behavior, so now when you drop a folder into the dock icon it opens a tab in the current window.
Launchbar however, keeps forcing the old behavior, even when you send a folder into the iTerm app, instead of pressing cmd+t, it opens a new small window.

Could you please update this a let iTerm handle the folders by itself in order for it to have the right behavior?

Thanks