10.7 compatibility

General discussions about LaunchBar
switters

10.7 compatibility

Post by switters » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:23 pm

Is LB 5.1.2 compatible with Lion? I see only two threads here discussing some issues, but is it mostly compatible? Will there be a new version that is fully compatible?

startamovement

Re: 10.7 compatibility

Post by startamovement » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:16 pm

I have a question similar to this. I'm ready to buy this software after trying the trail, but I'm afraid that with Lion coming out, there will soon be a new generation of this software (version 6) and I would have to pay to upgrade. Should I wait?

veke
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by veke » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:01 am

I've been running LB on Lion for ages and it works as expected.

manfred
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by manfred » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:52 pm

Yes, LaunchBar 5.1.x is Lion compatible.

jasonbrent

Post by jasonbrent » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:11 pm

manfred wrote:Yes, LaunchBar 5.1.x is Lion compatible.

"Nonactivating mode" doesn't appear to be working properly in 5.1.3. Launchbar still shows up in the app list with switcher (cmd-tab).

-jbl

startamovement

Post by startamovement » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:58 am

how often do new generations of LaunchBar get released? I don't want to buy it now if I'm going to have to upgrade again soon with OS X Lion out.

manfred
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by manfred » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:03 am

jasonbrent wrote:"Nonactivating mode" doesn't appear to be working properly in 5.1.3. Launchbar still shows up in the app list with switcher (cmd-tab).

In order to hide LaunchBar from your app switching list, please choose »Hide Dock Icon« from LaunchBar's preferences.

startamovement wrote:how often do new generations of LaunchBar get released? I don't want to buy it now if I'm going to have to upgrade again soon with OS X Lion out.

Don't worry. No chargeable update to be expectable anytime soon.

startamovement

Post by startamovement » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:34 pm

Thanks, gonna purchase right now. LB is way better than any other app of its kind. Glad to help support it.

jpenca

Post by jpenca » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:46 pm

first off, thanks for this great app. Wouldn’t want to miss it.

i’ve noticed two anomalies using LB in 10.7. In a full-screened app LB will pop up below where the OS X menu bar would be located, so there is a 20 pixel space at the top which looks weird. Also, after a while of usage, a bug comes up which prohibits the Search Results pane from showing. LB seems to work okay if that happens, you just don’t see the results pane anymore.

Are these known issues?

mef613

Post by mef613 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:08 pm

There is one issue which isn't strictly a Lion issue, but which cries out for a Launchbar workaround:

I often download apps, then use Launchbar to move them into /Applications, /Applications/Utilities, or some other subfolders I've created.

These folders now require admin access to write to. Launchbar just fails. A Finder copy gives you the option to authenticate, then complete the operation.

I would be very grateful if Launchbar would add authenticated writes to its repertoire, especially when copying or moving files to a read-only location.

gyuen

Post by gyuen » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:40 am

I've noticed get finder selection doesn't work. :)

There's also been something else since 5.0. Applescripts for instance run while launchbar is still active and displays itself and even the browser list. A slight issue if the script asks for input and the dialog is obscured by LB. And if the script takes a long time to execute , LB is in a sense frozen for the duration. Not exactly a Lion issue but wanted to remind you of this. :)

gyuen

Post by gyuen » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:45 am

Clipboard history also seems to not work.

manfred
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by manfred » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:02 pm

jpenca wrote:i’ve noticed two anomalies using LB in 10.7. In a full-screened app LB will pop up below where the OS X menu bar would be located, so there is a 20 pixel space at the top which looks weird. Also, after a while of usage, a bug comes up which prohibits the Search Results pane from showing. LB seems to work okay if that happens, you just don’t see the results pane anymore.

Are these known issues?

Yes, it is a known issue. We currently examine possible fixes.

mef613 wrote:I often download apps, then use Launchbar to move them into /Applications, /Applications/Utilities, or some other subfolders I've created.

These folders now require admin access to write to. Launchbar just fails. A Finder copy gives you the option to authenticate, then complete the operation.

I would be very grateful if Launchbar would add authenticated writes to its repertoire, especially when copying or moving files to a read-only location.

As you've already mentioned, this isn't a Lion related issue. It depends if your user account is admin or not (System Preferences -> User & Groups -> Allow user to administer this computer).

gyuen wrote:I've noticed get finder selection doesn't work. :)

There's also been something else since 5.0. Applescripts for instance run while launchbar is still active and displays itself and even the browser list. A slight issue if the script asks for input and the dialog is obscured by LB. And if the script takes a long time to execute , LB is in a sense frozen for the duration. Not exactly a Lion issue but wanted to remind you of this. :)
gyuen wrote:Clipboard history also seems to not work.

Please contact our support via email. Thanks!

rburgst

Post by rburgst » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:59 pm

I have a similar problem. In fullscreen apps, whenever I invoke launchbar, I get pushed back to desktop 1. This makes it more or less impossible to use the clipboard history since, you will never ever stay on the fullscreen app. E.g. Mail shows this behavior.
Also the same holds true with the app launcher. If I invoke launchbar while I am on a fullscreen app (again, Mail will serve just fine as an example) as soon as the quick entry field opens, I get pushed back to space 1. This is very annoying and greatly reduces the value of the program.

manfred
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by manfred » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:32 pm

rburgst wrote:I have a similar problem. In fullscreen apps, whenever I invoke launchbar, I get pushed back to desktop 1. This makes it more or less impossible to use the clipboard history since, you will never ever stay on the fullscreen app. E.g. Mail shows this behavior.
Also the same holds true with the app launcher. If I invoke launchbar while I am on a fullscreen app (again, Mail will serve just fine as an example) as soon as the quick entry field opens, I get pushed back to space 1. This is very annoying and greatly reduces the value of the program.

Please hide LaunchBar's dock icon to avoid this issue.