Exclude Launchbar from application?

General discussions about LaunchBar
frankf

Exclude Launchbar from application?

Post by frankf » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:11 pm

I use a music application for my work that uses many internal keystrokes that conflict with Launchbar. I would like to disable or exclude LB from working in this app only. Is there a way to do this? Right now I must quit LB altogether when I work.
Thanks,
Frank

manfred
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: Exclude Launchbar from application?

Post by manfred » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:31 pm

Unfortunately there is no way to disable global hotkeys for one application only. I'm sorry!

Kicweed
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Kicweed » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:10 pm

Doesn't LB know what the currently front-most app is? Maybe LB could do a quick test and if the app is black listed then it would abort before it even appeared on screen.

The end user would not see LB at all and it would appear as if it was disabled, right?

Kicweed
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Kicweed » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:13 pm

Hm, I just thought of a problem with my idea. By the time LB aborts, it will have already intercepted the shortcut intended for the front most app. I'm not sure how you can overcome that.

I don't think there's an easy way to "replay" keyboard shortcuts (though I think Keyboard Maestro can do that. I don't know if they're comparable)

frankf

Post by frankf » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:46 pm

Thanks for the responses. I use Keyboard Maestro and have set up macros for launching and quitting Launchbar, which is close enough. I may be able to get KM to quit Launchbar whenever my music app is foremost, but I haven't got that far with KM programming skills yet.
Frank

Kicweed
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Kicweed » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:46 pm

Hm, quiting and relaunching LB so often seems a waste. Since you're already into KM, here's an idea I just had.

Create a new macro group in KM, targeted specifically at your music app. In that group, define keyboard shortcuts for the actions you want to safeguard against LB. Then, define the resulting action to what you want them to do, possibly by pointing them to the menu entries they relate to.

As an example, let's say that you have LB appearing when you press Cmd + Space. But, Cmd + Space does something else in your music app, let's say it is the equivalent of the menu entry called "Mute". You create a new macro in KM, that fires up ONLY in your music app. You make the macro run when you press Cmd + Space and define its action as the meny entry "Mute". KM can run specific menu entries, have a look in the available actions and you will find it.

I don't know the precedence between LB and KM, but it could be that KM takes over and intercepts your shortcut, pointing it directly to your music app.

As a closing note. Are you sure you cannot map the initial LB command to a different combination? One that will not conflict with your music app? That could be by far the easiest way to keep LB away from messing with your music app.

hced

Post by hced » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:47 am

Here's another +1 for being able to blacklist certain applications.

In Photoshop, holding down Command + Space temporarily activates the Zoom Tool. With Launchbar, this isn't possible if you're using the default Launchbar shortcut, which I'd rather not change since it's the most ergonomic one.

Scott_R

Post by Scott_R » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:09 pm

Another strong +1 for this feature.