Feature Request: Function key to filter Input Window rows

General discussions about LaunchBar
lpb2ha-me
Rank 1
Rank 1

Feature Request: Function key to filter Input Window rows

Post by lpb2ha-me » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:03 am

It may be useful to allow the user to narrow down search results (rows) in the LaunchBar Input Window by allowing them to hit a user-configurable function key, while typing in that widow.
E.g., the configuration could be
F1 = .oo3 files
F2 = Folders
F3 = Contacts
etc.
There could be more than 12 potential function keys, but the user could choose at most 12.

In my case, I often find myself searching through the LaunchBar suggestions. This takes time.

An advantage of using function keys for this purpose is that it will not interfere with the abbreviation. For example, suppose I wish to access Jeremy Bar for the first time. That is an address book contact.
I could type the following in the LaunchBar Input Window:
JerF3
that would be equivalent to
F3Jer
or
JF3er
which
would in all these cases limit the search to contacts containing Jer. (not matching, for example, the file "Jerry.oo3").

The result could then be recorded, for use in the search algorithm as I mentioned in a different post, by increasing the priority of the contact Jerry Bar (for Jer, and other valid LaunchBar abbreviations of that contact). So that in the future the function key need not be used for that contact. I.e., I am not suggesting that the user would normally need to use a function key. Rather, I am suggesting that using a function key would accelerate training in the cases where LaunchBar cannot cope to the user's satisfaction with the abbreviation.

NB: the function keys in this case are only used in the search in the LaunchBar Input Window. LaunchBar would ignore the function key keyboard events when the user is not typing in the LaunchBar Input Window. That would allow the user to not have to give up useful keyboard shortcuts, such as F12 for volume.

If the function key is not used,then some other shortcuts could be made available for this purpose (e.g., command-@ for contacts). The bottom line is that it would be useful to have a way to filter the suggestion.

boknowme

Re: Feature Request: Function key to filter Input Window rows

Post by boknowme » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:00 am

GOOD

Kicweed
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Kicweed » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:25 pm

Isn't that the purpose of the Categories functionality? I don't have LB with me right now, so I might be slightly wrong with the wording but:

Code: Select all

1. Invoke LB
2. Type Contacts to select the Address Book Contacts smart category
3. Hit Space to enter
4. Type "Jerry" to search only inside your contacts

(You might need to enable the Smart Categories in the Index window, I can't remember right now)

It might need a couple of presses more than using function keys, but it seems simpler and more intuitive to me. Although I have to admit, I rarely use the Categories functionality, most of the times LB gives me the correct result.

lpb2ha-me
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lpb2ha-me » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:30 pm

Your suggestion does get us part way there. But with your suggestion, the user needs to select the application first (via the input window), then press space, then the abbreviation. My request would
a.) allow the constraint to be added at any point while the user is interacting with the input window; and
b.) not require the space key to be pressed.

The reason why (a) is important to me is that I can't predict whether LaunchBar will get it right. I'd rather not have to escape and restart typing. (LB is a great tool, and I use it all the time; but its results are "often" not right. I frequently create new files. When I say I 'often', I just mean often enough to some tweaking, IMO.)

(Rather than a function key, LaunchBar could support this functionality with a user configured control sequence, e.g., control-o for OmniOutliner).