Dropbox synchronization

General discussions about LaunchBar
eroxx

Dropbox synchronization

Post by eroxx » Mon May 09, 2011 8:50 pm

I'm wondering, is it possible to use dropbox to sync your launchbar prefs (abbreviations, search templates, etc) across multiple computers?

ptujec
Wizard
Wizard

Re: Dropbox synchronization

Post by ptujec » Mon May 09, 2011 10:01 pm

eroxx wrote:I'm wondering, is it possible to use dropbox to sync your launchbar prefs (abbreviations, search templates, etc) across multiple computers?

I never tried but I can imagine that a relative symlink from ~/Library/Application Support/LaunchBar to your dropbox folder could work.
See http://www.obdev.at/resources/launchbar ... #move-copy on how to do it … and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolic_links for the background info
Make sure to backup that folder though … in case sth breaks. I'm not an expert on that matter ;)

eroxx

Post by eroxx » Tue May 10, 2011 3:38 pm

Ah - I didn't realize recent items was recently used LAUNCHBAR items, as opposed to recently opened (Mac) items. Thanks for clarifying!

I know this isn't the same thread, but I posted a question a while ago and haven't gotten a response; I'd LOVE to be able to "sync" my abbreviations/templates/etc between 2 macs (laptop and iMac) through dropbox ... Is that possible?

TomEck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TomEck » Tue May 10, 2011 3:49 pm

I don't know but I doubt it. As far as I know LB stores custom search templates in …/Library/Application Support/LaunchBar/Configuration.plist and, therefore, can't find the file as long as it lives in Dropbox. However, it might be possible to copy (not move) the file configuration.plist into the Dropbox and from there copy and replace the same file on another mac. The copy/replace steps could be done via Automator or AppleScript (or Hazel, I guess). Disclosure: I don't know whether this works! I haven't tested this!

eroxx

Post by eroxx » Tue May 10, 2011 4:35 pm

I'll try this later, but what about if I created a symbolic link to the file in dropbox?

manfred
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by manfred » Thu May 12, 2011 5:53 pm

eroxx, please do not ask the same question in different other topics. Most likely you will get an answer in a correctly named thread.

As I already answered you via email, it should work using symbolic links if you don't use more then one LaunchBar instance at the same time.