Removable hard drive won't eject "in use by LaunchBar"

General discussions about LaunchBar
Usopp

Removable hard drive won't eject "in use by LaunchBar"

Post by Usopp » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:16 pm

I am having trouble with removable hard drives (Western Digital, if that matters) that won't eject. When I try to eject them from the finder, it tells me that the disk is in use by LaunchBar. LB doesn't seem to be scanning or anything at the time. Repeated trials to ejects are rejected. When i quit LB, it will eject fine.

Is there a setting or something that I am missing? This can't be Business As Usual.

iMac 10.6.7

manfred
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: Removable hard drive won't eject "in use by LaunchBar"

Post by manfred » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:39 pm

Usopp wrote:Is there a setting or something that I am missing? This can't be Business As Usual.

This is definitely not the default behavior. Please open a new Terminal window, run the following command and take a look if a path to your external harddrive is part of this list (directories of external harddrives usually start with /Volumes).

Code: Select all

sudo lsof | grep LaunchBar 

joshfreeman

Post by joshfreeman » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:40 pm

I am having this identical problem and the terminal command seems to give me no results at all. Mac OX 10.8.4 on a 15" Retina MacBook Pro.

Anybody have a suggestion? Thanks!!

Josh

sjk
Wizard
Wizard

Post by sjk » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:17 am

Try this instead:

* Launch Activity Monitor
* Select LaunchBar
* Click Inspect in the toolbar
* Select the Open Files and Ports tab; output can be copied/pasted, e.g. to a text editor for easier searching
* Look for your external hard drive volume name(s)

joshfreeman

Post by joshfreeman » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:07 pm

Guess I had not subscribed to the thread! But finally did this and I see no reference in the suggested log to the external HD that won't unmount. (I've now subscribed in case you respond.)

In my case, the external drive has two volumes: a large storage section and a smaller one where I clone my internal drive, as a backup. That's the part that makes this happen. If I immediately unmount the Clone drive, all is well. The storage volume will unmount normally and I can unplug the external drive it's on (via USB).

But if I leave it mounted on my desktop for more than a minute or so, it then won't unmount without turning off the computer, unless I force-unmount it. When this is happening it also affects the other volume on the same drive (the storage portion). Seems to me that the fact that the disk is an accurate, mountable clone of my main hard drive is the issue.

Carbon Copy Cloner (which I use for this backup) can mount and unmount the volume automatically just fine IF it starts with the drive unmounted. If the volume is already mounted when it starts to run its routine, then CCC can't unmount the volume.

I'm now using a 15" Retina Macbook Pro running Yosemite 10.10.1 (as of December 2014). Thanks for any further help.