Firefox 4 Bookmarks and History

General discussions about LaunchBar
burke

Firefox 4 Bookmarks and History

Post by burke » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:31 pm

Just recently purchased Launchbar (longtime Quicksilver user) and loving it.

I just upgraded to FF4 beta 12 and lost all of my bookmarks. I exported my bookmarks to a file will use that for now.

Is Firefox 4 support in Launchbar coming soon? I realize FF4 is still in beta, so this is a little premature, but FF4 should be out of beta soon. Any chance there's a beta version of Launchbar somewhere with FF4 support that I could use in the meantime?

Was
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Firefox 4 Bookmarks and History

Post by Was » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:40 pm

If I understand what you're saying correctly, when you ran FF4 beta, the Firefox bookmarks (and presumably history) index in Launchbar was empty, even when the correct file (places.sqlite) in your profile folder is selected. If that's your problem, I had it too. I found that running the extension 'Vacuum Places Improved', which defragments the places.sqlite database solved the problem. Still happens occasionally, but running the extension again solves it.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/13878

Not an ideal solution, so I'd really hope the developers release a new beta (normally available here: http://www.obdev.at/products/launchbar/nightly.html soon.

auctoris

Post by auctoris » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:02 am

I'm having the same problem (w/FF4RC1). I noticed that LB was not updating its index for my bookmarks. I deleted the bookmarks group from LB, then recreated it. Now it's empty. LB knows where the places.sqlite db is, but it won't import any of the bookmarks. Is this working for anyone or is this a known problem?

Update: I ran the Vacuum Places Improved Firefox add-on and that fixed it--LaunchBar was able to import the bookmarks. Don't know whether this is a permanent solution or not.

Thanks

LaunchBar 5.0.4
Firefox 4.0 RC1
Mac OS X 10.6.6
MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7

sooinlee1

Post by sooinlee1 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:00 pm

It looks like it doesn't stay that way. I don't know when it stops working but I should run "Vacuum places.sqlite" again every time it does.

SL

Was
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Was » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:24 pm

Devs - any chance of a fix for this sometime soon?

manfred
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by manfred » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:57 pm

There is a fix in the works. But unfortunately I can not give you a concrete release date.

amilholland

Post by amilholland » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:03 pm

You might try this tip from a Windows program called Launchy. Firefox stores bookmarks in a locked database that Launchy can't access. To enable Launchy to scan your Firefox bookmarks, please type “about:config” in your Firefox url bar, find the entry “browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML” and
double click on it to set it to “true”. Close the tab and rebuild your Launchy catalog, and you should have your bookmarks.

manfred
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by manfred » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:22 pm

amilholland wrote:You might try this tip from a Windows program called Launchy.

Thank you for this tip. Indeed, this is a better workaround!

• Enable »browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML« in Firefox
  • Quit and Restart Firefox
  • In LaunchBar add an indexing rule for a »Custom HTML Bookmarks File…« and select this file:
    ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/[your profile number]/bookmarks.html

Was
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Was » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:41 pm

great, that works. note though that for FF History you will still need to use places.sqlite.

cjedj

Post by cjedj » Sat May 21, 2011 12:26 pm

Thanks for for the tip re Vacuum Places - it cleared the problem in one go. I don't really see how using a custom HTML file for bookmarks is a better solution, unless your history is still showing up in LB (or you don't need it).

edj

Post by edj » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:54 pm

Thanks for the Vacuum Places tip!!! WORKS!!! What a relief. Couldn't understand why my Firefox bookmarks wouldn't update.

Was
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Was » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:08 pm

Firefox 5 now automatically vacuums the places.sqlite database, so you don't need to use the extension anymore, apparently. Though it might be good to have it in mind if you ever need to manually vacuum:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p11103683

egrieco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by egrieco » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:19 am

Was having the same issue of nothing showing up in Firefox bookmarks. Started out with Firefox 3.x. Upgraded to 7, 8 and finally 9.0.1 today, still no bookmarks in LaunchBar.

Ran the "Vacuum places.sqlite" plugin suggested above and now everything is working great.

Note: If you go the "browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML" route you will not have any bookmark folders in LaunchBar and bookmarks will only be updated when Firefox quits.

Was
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Was » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:13 pm

On that note, would the devs please consider adding some more features to LB's web browser functions? Would be great to be able to exclude bookmarks folder by folder in the index, so that Firefox's Live Bookmark entries can be excluded...