LaunchBar much too small

General discussions about LaunchBar
erifneerg

LaunchBar much too small

Post by erifneerg » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:11 pm

LaunchBar is a great tool. It would be better if i could see the bar without having to lean into my screen to read it.

I cannot understand why this option hasn't been addressed because I've seen it posted a few times over the years on the forum. I already have the screen's resolution lowered to help me see the type in general. It seems like the have the type set to 11-12 px in the app. Most word processor use 12 px and have it set zoom over 100% to make the page easier to read. Clearly this is very frustrating to me. This lack of support to address the issue doesn't encourage me to buy the product. I've been using a combination of quicksilver and quick search bar, which is much easier to see. I would use Alfred, which is amazingly easy on my eyes, but it lacks features i use regularly.

I tired using the Quartz Debug to incresce the dpi on the app, and it helps. I would love see something like a simbl plugin that would make it easier for me (and others) to use.

Is there anyone else that struggles with this issue?

claymourn

Re: LaunchBar much too small

Post by claymourn » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:12 pm

I completely agree, I've gone from Quick silver to Google Quick search bar and have now gone to Launchbar for the reliability and speed, but the Font is so small I find myself leaning forward to the screen as well. I test Alfred and its like a sight for sore eyes. 8)

line22

Post by line22 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:04 pm

I know this has been covered before, but I definely second this request.

I can honestly say that Launchbar is the most essential software in my workflow, and having the option of a larger, possibly sleeker UI would make it just perfect - especially when working with large monitors.

The best solution would be to allow custom layouts (skins or at least customizable fonts and colors) but a simple "large layout" alternative would also work.

I really hope to see this in a future version!

Conheim

Post by Conheim » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:00 pm

I agree with you. Just tried „Alfred“ from the App Store. It won’t replace Launchbar (how could it?), but it’s despite it’s limited feature set it has a modern and light interface. I would like to see something like this in Launchbar, too.

Conheim

erifneerg

Post by erifneerg » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:10 pm

I'm not even talking about a redesign. Just a larger type. I understand there some icons that might need to be resized but I'd like to be able to see what I'm typing in the far right in RED type on a PALE GREY backdrop (which is also almost invisible to me because of those color choices).

FredSmith
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FredSmith » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:34 am

Conheim wrote:I agree with you. Just tried „Alfred“ from the App Store. It won’t replace Launchbar (how could it?)

Well it could quite easily if the developer gets the developer API working.

erifneerg

Post by erifneerg » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:21 am

FredSmith wrote:
Conheim wrote:I agree with you. Just tried „Alfred“ from the App Store. It won’t replace Launchbar (how could it?)

I'd love to see alfred allow 3rd party plugins or API (only via PowerPack).

I'd love LaunchBar to have just a larger launch and a better plugin system.

FredSmith
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FredSmith » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:18 pm

erifneerg wrote:
FredSmith wrote:

I'd love to see alfred allow 3rd party plugins or API (only via PowerPack).

I'd love LaunchBar to have just a larger launch and a better plugin system.

Well a developer API is planned for Alfred. Can't speak for Launchbar, but I'm not holding my breath.

conlan

Post by conlan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:57 am

I would also like an option to increase the font/display size of LB. It's not just a personal preference; it's an accessibility issue. Not everyone has perfect eyesight.

FredSmith
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FredSmith » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:29 pm

claymourn wrote:I completely agree, I've gone from Quick silver to Google Quick search bar and have now gone to Launchbar for the reliability and speed, but the Font is so small I find myself leaning forward to the screen as well. I test Alfred and its like a sight for sore eyes. 8)

and

erifneerg wrote:LaunchBar is a great tool. It would be better if i could see the bar without having to lean into my screen to read it.

and

contan wrote:I would also like an option to increase the font/display size of LB. It's not just a personal preference; it's an accessibility issue. Not everyone has perfect eyesight.

These comments are very interesting because a while back I had a discussion about the UI with Norbert:

Norbert wrote:LaunchBar's minimalistic UI is intentional. We tried to make it as unobtrusive as possible, so that it doesn't distract you from your current work, which is especially important if you invoke LaunchBar fairly often.

I would argue that if users have to lean into the screen or squint, then they are being distracted from their current work and so Launchbar could be failing in its attempt to be minimalist.

robertb

Post by robertb » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:42 am

Actually, I disagree. The unobtrusiveness is one of LB's strong points. It doesn't distract me from what I'm doing, but simply makes it easier. And it provides larger type—in-your-face larger—when you do a calculation, look at a phone number...that sort of thing.

FredSmith
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FredSmith » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:41 pm

robertb wrote:Actually, I disagree. The unobtrusiveness is one of LB's strong points. It doesn't distract me from what I'm doing, but simply makes it easier. And it provides larger type—in-your-face larger—when you do a calculation, look at a phone number...that sort of thing.

Well, of course it's a matter of opinion, but I would argue that if you have to lean forward or squint to see it, then LB is actually intrusive to your workflow. This is why Apple application switcher is a large box in the middle of the screen: it is large so you can use it and get rid of it quickly.

Alfred is picking up users by the bucket load (looking at the tweets, many of them migrating from Launchbar and Quicksilver), and I can't remember reading anyone saying that the app window is too big.

Still, it's a matter of opinion as I said. Perhaps the solution is to offer a larger display size as a preference alternative.

thyx

Post by thyx » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:38 pm

I guess I need to look for some alternative as soon as I get a larger screen - seriously, it's quite small on a 13.3" MacBook screen.
Ah, Quicksilver has had some handsome layouts.

Cetero censeo comma trick. Just to mention it.

EKOisGPSy

Post by EKOisGPSy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:14 am

Yes, LB is much to small !!!
Please fix this Problem for sight-impaired person and/or for High Def. Monitor Users.
"Alfred" has exact the right Dimensions !!!!

Please fix this Problem, THX

P.S.
After this, we purchase a License :wink:

manfred
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by manfred » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:31 am

I'm happy to announce: LaunchBar 5.1 beta 1 adds the ability to adjust the font size.