true background application?

General discussions about LaunchBar
donmontalvo

true background application?

Postby donmontalvo » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:31 pm

is there (still) a command we can use to turn launchbar into a TRUE background application? all too often i inadvertantly quit launchbar. in addition, i really don't want to see it in my dock. i want launchbar to be a silent background application.

thanks,
don

Chealion

Postby Chealion » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:58 am

Have you tried Dockless?

josh

Postby josh » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:39 am

You can still do that trick mentioned in the documentation, where you edit the plist file within the Launchbar app.

Tip: After making the change, you need to move the LaunchBar app (at least temporarily) in order for it to take effect. Chances are you installed it where you want it to live permanently, so I just move it, and hit Cmd-Z to undo the move.

I just wish i didn't have to do all that each time I upgraded LB. :)

donmontalvo

Postby donmontalvo » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:03 am

Chealion wrote:Have you tried Dockless?

i'm a systems administrator...i don't play with gui hacks. :) found the instructions and applied changes. would be good to post command line equivalent to gui 'fix' so we can push to users.

don

yanokwa

Postby yanokwa » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:30 pm

This is trivial (especially for a sysadmin) to do with a script.

Change the Info.plist on local machine to either hide or reveal LB.

On remote machine, quit LB, copy the modified Info.plist to /Applications/LaunchBar.app/Contents/Info.plist, touch /Applications/LaunchBar.app, and relaunch LB.

Another option is to grep for the NSUI/LSUI Elements on the remote Info.plist. If they are set to 0 (or not there), you can echo the values into /Applications/LaunchBar.app/Contents/Info.plist. You should quit LB before you modify, touch, then relaunch.

To hide LB

Code: Select all

<key>LSUIElement</key>
        <string>1</string>
        <key>NSUIElement</key>
        <string>1</string>

To reveal LB

<key>LSUIElement</key>
        <string>0</string>
        <key>NSUIElement</key>
        <string>0</string>

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:14 pm

yanokwa wrote:This is trivial (especially for a sysadmin) to do with a script.

On remote machine, quit LB, copy the modified Info.plist to /Applications/LaunchBar.app/Contents/Info.plist, touch /Applications/LaunchBar.app, and relaunch LB.

Another option is to grep for the NSUI/LSUI Elements on the remote Info.plist. If they are set to 0 (or not there), you can echo the values into /Applications/LaunchBar.app/Contents/Info.plist. You should quit LB before you modify, touch, then relaunch.

To hide LB

<key>LSUIElement</key>
        <string>1</string>
        <key>NSUIElement</key>
        <string>1</string>

To reveal LB

<key>LSUIElement</key>
        <string>0</string>
        <key>NSUIElement</key>
        <string>0</string>

what command could we use across many computers using ard's "run unix command"?

don

donmontalvo

Postby donmontalvo » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:15 pm

yanokwa wrote:This is trivial (especially for a sysadmin) to do with a script.

To hide LB

<key>LSUIElement</key>
        <string>1</string>
        <key>NSUIElement</key>
        <string>1</string>

To reveal LB

<key>LSUIElement</key>
        <string>0</string>
        <key>NSUIElement</key>
        <string>0</string>

sorry...forgot to log in before responding. thanks for the info. what command could we use across many computers using ard's "run unix command"?

don

yanokwa

Postby yanokwa » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:34 pm

Don, you have many options.

I haven't used ARD in a while, but the easiest thing to do is make the change on your local application and copy it down to the client machines. If you aren't comfortable with scripting, then I'd try this on a few machines first and see if it works.

You should also be able to copy the Info.plist from your machine into their machines, but I'm not sure ARD allows for that (even though LB.app is just a folder).

If you want to run a CLI, you could put the Info.plist on a web server (turn on websharing on your localbox and then run

osascript -e 'tell application "LaunchBar" to quit'

curl 'http://12.345.12.135/~yourusername/Info.plist' -o /Applications/LaunchBar.app/Contents/Info.plist

touch /Applications/LaunchBar.app

osascript -e 'tell application "LaunchBar" to launch'

You can run all commands with ; in between them if ARD doesn't like 4 commands. You can also put those above commands in a script, send it down with ARD, run it, remove it with ARD.

The script could also do what I described my earlier post.

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:05 pm

yanokwa wrote:Don, you have many options.

I haven't used ARD in a while, but the easiest thing to do is make the change on your local application and copy it down to the client machines. If you aren't comfortable with scripting, then I'd try this on a few machines first and see if it works.

You should also be able to copy the Info.plist from your machine into their machines, but I'm not sure ARD allows for that (even though LB.app is just a folder).

If you want to run a CLI, you could put the Info.plist on a web server (turn on websharing on your localbox and then run

osascript -e 'tell application "LaunchBar" to quit'

curl 'http://12.345.12.135/~yourusername/Info.plist' -o /Applications/LaunchBar.app/Contents/Info.plist

touch /Applications/LaunchBar.app

osascript -e 'tell application "LaunchBar" to launch'

You can run all commands with ; in between them if ARD doesn't like 4 commands. You can also put those above commands in a script, send it down with ARD, run it, remove it with ARD.

The script could also do what I described my earlier post.

you can run multiple commands by inserting a carriage return in the unix command window. i can script this but i was looking for a defaults command if one exists.

don

lujo

Postby lujo » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:23 am

How about simply making it an option in the preferences to run LaunchBar without a dock icon? I use the plist edit tip to run LaunchBar without a dock icon all the time and it's very stable, so I'm not sure what the concern is and need for this manual edit. It sure would be nice to simply check a box (and probably relaunch LB) to enable this feature.

KiL

Dockless not a GUI hack in that sense

Postby KiL » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:23 am

Dockless is not a hack in the sense of haxies, since it won't be running in the background or inject any code at runtime.

All it does is actually applying the necessary changes to the according .plist files for you. Simple and clean.

macsterdam
Rank 2
Rank 2

Postby macsterdam » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:50 am

A universal binary alternative to Dockless is now available as well: DockDodger

Jaharmi
Rank 2
Rank 2

Defaults command

Postby Jaharmi » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:01 pm

You should be able to use the `defaults` command twice, while LaunchBar is not running. I just tried this:

% defaults write /Applications/LaunchBar.app/Contents/Info NSUIElement -bool YES
% defaults write /Applications/LaunchBar.app/Contents/Info LSUIElement -bool YES

Note that one is for NSUIElement and the other is for LSUIElement. I didn't quite catch that there were two keys listed in the previous posting.

I tried to `touch` the Info.plist file but that didn't result in the LaunchBar application not appearing in the Dock when I relaunched LB. However, I was able to move the LB application (while it was not running) and undo that to get the change to work. Therefore, you may want to `mv` LaunchBar temporarily and then put it back in the original location.

HTH.

Return to “LaunchBar General”