OmniFocus

General discussions about LaunchBar
bumpi

OmniFocus

Post by bumpi » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:03 am

I'd like to see discussion here on ideas and efforts to have LB work well with OmniFocus, OmniGroup's new task management app.

Things people are using Quicksilver for include converting a task in OF to an event in iCal but I'd also just like to use it to find my projects and my contexts and eventually my perspectives (saves states of focused projects and selected contexts).

Anyone else hoping not to be squeezed into Quicksilver?

-Paul

ludwigschubert

Post by ludwigschubert » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:35 pm

I'm a big fan of the OF alpha/beta(?) too.

Don't you think all your requests could be handled by applescripts?
I'm not so sure whether OF lets you read contexts, projects and perspectives via applescript, but I'm sure at least a 'QuickEntry' equivalent should be doable.

I would try it, but I don't know how to get text entered in LB (via space + text, similiar to google search) or even use it in a script.

I tried an
on handle_string
construction, but didn't get it to work.
If somebody could help, that would be great.

-Ludwig

ludwigschubert

Post by ludwigschubert » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:41 pm

Ah, just realised that I have to save it as a script, not an application.
Let's see what I can do.

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:58 pm

Hm. Thats so simple, I doubt I was the first one to do this…

on handle_string(s)
tell application "OmniFocus"
tell the first document
make new inbox task with properties {name:s}
end tell
end tell
end handle_string

Just make sure to save it as a script.

I'll try to find a documentation on the as interface of OF and see what can be done about your requests.
Maybe you could tell me a bit more specific what you would like to do?

greetings,
Ludwig

bumpi

progress

Post by bumpi » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:14 am

OmniFocus has moved on and now with the scriptable QuickEntry panel there are more possibilities and, IMHO, less need for LB to be able to create an Action. Right now they are working on Mail integration but using Services (while Curt Clifton has some Applescripts that offer more features right now). The use of Mail Act-On is promoted as a way to process mail messages into OmniFocus via applescripts. That's fine, but this leads me to wondering if LB could be a bit more liberal in what it accepts as input. LB can grab items from Finder, but how about any selected item in other applications, like a message in the Mail message list, or a random text selection (not yet on the clipboard, which may be otherwise needed), or a whole vCard or even vCal?

I'm thinking of something like: invoke LB, navigate to included script Take Selection From... then choose an application (the one that was just frontmost would be default and the list would include running apps) then hit tab to choose the destination (probably a script) to Send that selection To.

This way, I could be reading a Mail message, use LB to pass that message on to a script that creates an Action in OmniFocus, perhaps by invoking the QuickEntry panel for in-line modification and then use LB to run another script that would Clean Up in OmniFocus and also initiate a sync with iCal.

There are infinite possibilities, if only LB could grab more stuff than the clipboard or Finder items. Nothing against Mail Act-On, but I'd rather have an intelligent servant than a configurable tool.

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:44 am

You're right.

I admit that I gave up on my scripted solution approximately 1 minute after quick entry was introduced. :?

I guess that 'grabing anything' is VERY hard to do from a developer's point of view. Still, it would be handy.

reagrds,
Ludwig