Problems with (Asian) locales!

General discussions about LaunchBar
phyrex

Problems with (Asian) locales!

Post by phyrex » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:52 am

Hi,
My system is using a Chinese locale, so the download folder, for example, is named 下载, or the google chrome is called 谷歌浏览器.
Now the (really big!) problem is, that launchbar apparently neither takes Chinese character input, nor does it take the original names in consideration. In other words, I cannot get chrome to open, whether I type "chrome" or "谷歌" in launchbar!
So, what's up with that? Is there a hidden option or something that I didn't see? This would obviously be a dealbreaker, if it didn't work :-/
Thanks, and looking forward to your answers!

phyrex

Re: Problems with (Asian) locales!

Post by phyrex » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:12 am

From the eMail exchange:
---
You can turn on the "Append English filename if different from localized
name" option in LaunchBar Preferences > Advanced. You will then be able
to search using the English filenames
---

Yay :D

zephyr

Post by zephyr » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:52 am

The "Append English filename if different from localized name" option can solve the problem when searching applications, but I also have many Chinese names in other indices (e.g. 1Password Items), which I can only select using the arrow keys.

I wonder if I could use pinyin of the Chinese characters to search these indice names?

I have tried other launcher apps like Spotlight or Alfred, and they support searching Chinese file name by pinyin (e.g. https://www.alfredforum.com/topic/5537- ... in-search/).

zephyr

Post by zephyr » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:20 am

I think this is the main reason why asian users give up LaunchBar.

If LaunchBar could index items both by its name and the name's pronunciation (e.g. Pinyin for Chinese and Romaji for Japanese), then it will be possible to search item which includes asian characters by using its pronunciation abbreviation.

I hope this feature would be added in a future release of LaunchBar, which will make LaunchBar a perfect productive tool for asian users.

Thanks.