Permanent paste items?

General discussions about LaunchBar
Silks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Permanent paste items?

Post by Silks » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:03 pm

Hi folks,
I still use LB in quite a rudimentary fashion, as a clipboard monitor. I'd love to find ways for LB to make my life easier.
For instance, I'd like to be able to paste certain items into the current text document.
For years, I've been using a utility called ShelfMenu for this. Unfortunately, it can only be used via the mouse, not the keyboard.
I'd like to be able to paste common recurring bits of text (such as "Ladies and gentlemen") via LB keyboard commands. Is this currently possible?
Thanks

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: Permanent paste items?

Post by norbert » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:27 pm

You can use LaunchBar's "Text Clips" feature to accomplish this. See the Other Features chapter of the LaunchBar Help for details.

Silks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Silks » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:29 pm

OK, thanks
Tried this but couldn't get it to work.
Saved my text as plain text, as "xxx.clip.txt" in a new folder I created called "LaunchBar documents".
Invoked LaunchBar and typed the first letters of the document name. The document did not show up as an option.
Tried updating the index. No change.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance.
Dream feature - to simply be able to go into my clipboard history, select certain previously-copied items and mark them as "permanent".

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:33 pm

Silks wrote:Saved my text as plain text, as "xxx.clip.txt" in a new folder I created called "LaunchBar documents".
Invoked LaunchBar and typed the first letters of the document name. The document did not show up as an option.

Where did you create your "LaunchBar documents" folder? Is it inside a folder that's actually indexed by LaunchBar?

Silks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Silks » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:36 pm

Yeah, sorry... Figured out that part by now. I'm still coming to grips with this app.
Still experimenting with this...

Silks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Silks » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:51 pm

Thanks for this solution, norbert.
It's more or less what I was hoping for. Thanks!

Silks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Silks » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:24 am

Just to update this thread...
A clipboard manager called Clips has come to my attention as part of MacHeist's recent nanoBundle. It has some nice visual pizzazz, but it's obviously no match for LB's clipboard monitoring features, productivity-wise. However, it does LB one better with its implementation of permanent paste items. It allows me to review all my recently copied items and flag the ones I want to keep. These items form a non-deleting list of flagged items that I can access at any time.
I would LOVE for LB to get this feature. All I would have to do would be to assign a special keyboard shortcut to my Permanent Paste Items list, and have it pop down. That would be *awesome*, much better than the current system where I have to assign (and memorize) some shortcut to each and every permanent item.
Any chance of this happening in a future release?

Silks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Silks » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:27 pm

Hmm, don't all comment at once... :?
Maybe you'll get where I'm coming from if I give a real world example...
I'm a translator for films and TV. One of my ongoing projects is subtitling the current season of American Idol.
Every week, I have to type the name "Crystal Bowersox". Thereafter, I copy that name so I can paste it and save some typing.
Another week - another show, and again I have to type and copy it.
I can't tell you how ecstatic I'd be if I could only type that goddamn name once, copy it, FLAG IT, and then just paste it from a pop-down palette each week.
Then, the week Crystal Bowersox gets voted off, or the season wraps up, I could just go in and delete her name, now that I don't need it anymore.
Other bits of text, such as "Ladies and gentlemen", could just stay flagged forever.
Now wouldn't that be awesome? Anyone?

Cottser
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cottser » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:28 pm

I think you'll find most people use a text expanding tool for that type of thing. TextExpander, Typinator, or even the built-in expansion in Snow Leopard.

Silks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Silks » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:12 pm

Maybe, but why install more apps when LB already comes so close?
Besides, I don't want to memorize gibberish abbreviations. I can do that right now with LaunchBar. I hate it. Why pile on an extra layer of abstraction? I'm trying to make my workflow as simple as possible. I already copied the bit of text I need. I just want to see the thing in front of me so I can select it and move on.

Cottser
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cottser » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:52 pm

Just a suggestion. Carry on :)

Silks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Silks » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:45 am

Hehe. At ease :D

johnny_n

Post by johnny_n » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:53 pm

This is a great thread, thanks for all of this information -- had no idea Snow Leopard (and now Lion) had this functionality...

I too was using Clips but for such simple software the memory usage was incredible... I finally got sick of it. And it hasn't been updated in ages.

Much better to do natively or with TextExpander...