Instant send

General discussions about LaunchBar
kelpie

Instant send

Post by kelpie » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:43 pm

Any ideas why Instant Send shouldn't work for me?
I have allocated a shortcut in the prefs (single option) but pressing the key does nothing. Have I missed something?

Cheers

kelpie

Re: Instant send

Post by kelpie » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:46 pm

Forget my last, almost as soon as I posted I realised I needed to restart each app for it to work
All is now well
Cheers

jem

Post by jem » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:29 pm

I'm having the same problem but unfortunately the solution above doesn't help (I've tried by restarting my Mac to be really sure).

I've set "instant send" to "Single Option" but if I select a file in Finder and hold down the alt/opt key nothing happens. Any idea what I'm missing?

BloodDragon

Post by BloodDragon » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:08 pm

I've had this problem as well, but holding down the key does not seem to work. What you need to do is tap it quite briefly, for me then it works. If I hold it a little to long, Launchbar does not come up.

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:21 pm

Modifier Taps require a very short keypress. This is by design, to prevent unwanted triggering when you use the modifier key "regularly", in combination with another key.

So if you hold down the modifier key too long, it will not trigger Instant Send.

jem

Post by jem » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:38 pm

Ahhh, I could never understand that from the docs so I've been trying to figure out what is wrong with my machine.

besologic

Post by besologic » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:27 pm

I'm having similar troubles with instant send with my install of SL. I tried restarting my apps and that didn't seem to do the trick. Any ideas?

cjedj

Post by cjedj » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:51 pm

I'm having exactly the same problem, not only with Instant Send, but also with launching the app. Both use double cmd. I've tried changing this to single modifier keys and other doubles in all combinations, but nothing works.

Two odd things - this is intermittent, sometimes it's fine. The second thing, this is only a problem on my MBP - on the iMac it's fine. This is how I know it's not the length of time I'm tapping the keys for.

I'm trying to work out what could be interfering with this but can't narrow it down. Does anyone else have any ideas?

om3ga777

Post by om3ga777 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:58 pm

No ideas, just the same problem - pressing the key only for a very short amount of time or restarting all the apps doesn't help at all. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't - couldn't yet figure out, what could cause this behaviour.
Now holding cmd+space for some seconds to bring up the Instant Send option - very annoying nevertheless.

invictus26
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by invictus26 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:20 am

I'm having the same problem. I thought I was crazy because it comes and goes. It had been working after trashing everything and reinstalling, but now it's broken again, even after deleting the preference file. I would love to find a fix for this.

cjedj

Post by cjedj » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:24 am

I was wondering if it happens when the cursor is in a focussed text box in the browswer. Will have to test that when I'm next in front of the Mac.

no-username
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by no-username » Sat May 22, 2010 7:00 am

There is a bug somewhere. I use 2x press of shift, this always worked fine, never failed me. I think it was at 10.6.3 updater, or one of the other updates around that time that made this an issue. We need a debug version that will log the important bits, as something is certainly off right now.

All other features work fine, command-space is fine, the entire app is fine, just instant send is borked.

Going into the preferenes and toggling the instant send setting to some other key, moving to another tab in the preferneces to get it to save, and then using that new instant send key will fix it, then you put it back, and it fixes it, until it breaks again.

Glad it is not my system entirely; it may be my system, but it seems widespread enough I bet we all find a common thread. I also bet a good deal of people are not aware of instant send and how powerful it is. When I don't have it, I am lost.

Any chance of a debug version that logs all key events that LB knows about?

no-username
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by no-username » Sat May 22, 2010 7:03 am

Is there any chance everyone can list the 3rd party apps that use keyboard commands often, perhaps those are causing conflict?

Developer... What is the listener that looks for the keypresses, is it a process we can look for to see if it is there, or if it has died? If we run a sample on the launchbar process when this problem happens, would that help you in any way?

For what it is worth, here are the apps I think that could possibly cause conflict
Keyboard Maestro
Things
TextExpander
LiteSwitch X ( Soon to be retired, sort of a shady scenario with this product )

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Sat May 22, 2010 12:14 pm

We've identified a possible cause for this problem. It seems to be possible that Mac OS X wrongly reports a particular key as being pressed although it actually isn't.

When this problem occurs again, please open the Mac OS X Keyboard Viewer (which can be enabled in System Preferences > Language & Text > Input Sources) to check if there's any key shown as pressed, although it actually isn't.

no-username wrote:What is the listener that looks for the keypresses, is it a process we can look for to see if it is there, or if it has died? If we run a sample on the launchbar process when this problem happens, would that help you in any way?

There is no separate process used for this purpose. It's just API calls, obviously sometimes delivering wrong results. A sample wouldn't help in that case.

no-username wrote:Any chance of a debug version that logs all key events that LB knows about?

We'll add some optional logging in the next version (can be turned on/off at runtime from the command line).

no-username
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by no-username » Sun May 23, 2010 1:03 am

norbert wrote:We'll add some optional logging in the next version (can be turned on/off at runtime from the command line)

Are you aware of what triggers the keys for instant send to go deaf, yet command-space and all other keys appear to work fine? I use double shift for instant send, as I feel any single key is too simple to accidentally hit. I never had a single issue with this feature for perhaps a year of LB use. Now, as of the last month or so, it started to become a problem.

Do you suspect this is a LB issue, and reverting to an older version would bring back the reliability, or do you think this was caused by an OS X system update? I have my system setup in a way that there is no a heck of a lot in the Dock, things are all tucked away pretty well. I rely on instant send to do most of the moving around of my files, and the best feature of it, is to open any file in any other application I want to. I don't know what I would do without the ability to do so with how terrible OS X now is with default applications and what files they should open.

To open /Applications, then drag and drop the file onto that app, or worse, right click and use "Open With", which the list alone lags at drawing, just takes too long. If there is anything at all I can do to help you pin this down, please let me know, I am more than happy to run a test build, or supply any logs or other requests.

Thanks.