[help] look up in thesaurus

General discussions about LaunchBar
CWM

[help] look up in thesaurus

Post by CWM » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:20 am

Hi There,

I've got another newbie question. . . .

Is it possible to look something up in the thesaurus directly from LaunchBar. I know how to search the Mac dictionary, but I'm not sure about the thesaurus.

Any thoughts?

Thanks (I *really* like LaunchBar!).

CWM

Ps. I'm running Snow leopard

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: [help] look up in thesaurus

Post by norbert » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:15 am

CWM wrote:Is it possible to look something up in the thesaurus directly from LaunchBar

I’m afraid no. LaunchBar’s utilizes the Look Up in Dictionary service of Dictonary.app to perform its dictionary searches. But Dictonary.app does not provide a similar Look Up in Thesaurus service that we could use for this purpose.

CWM

Post by CWM » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:37 am

Thanks very much for the reply, Nobert. I see the limitation that you've pointed to.

I'd like to write a service for looking words up directly in the thesaurus, but I'm not sure if that's possible.

Anyway, it's not the end of the world! :)

iRounak
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by iRounak » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:17 am

I wrote something similar (and better alternate ways) for Quicksilver.
http://u.nu/6fah3

Code: Select all

on handle_string(theWord)
   tell application "Dictionary" to open location "dict://" & (theWord as string)
   tell application "System Events"
      tell process "Dictionary"
         tell window 1 to click checkbox 3
      end tell
   end tell
   tell application "Dictionary" to activate
end handle_string

jamiljonna

Post by jamiljonna » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:48 am

I'm not sure if the script above was implemented (likely not) or if it searches "All" but that's what I prefer. I always have this button selected so I don't even use launchbar because when I search the dictionary it changes the latter setting; i.e. "All" is no longer depressed, "Dictionary" is, and I always have to change it back so I can see thesaurus and Wiki entries also. I find this quite annoying. Maybe it isn't possible to read the user's setting for Dictionary.app—using this value to denote how to search in Dictionary. But this is obviously the best solution as it would cover all potential concerns.