Comma trick

General discussions about LaunchBar
iRounak
Rank 4
Rank 4

Comma trick

Post by iRounak » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:18 pm

I have posted 3 threads in the last two days but no replies to any of them. I hope I receive a reply on this one. This is very important.

In Quicksilver you can do this:
A less obvious feature is known as the comma trick. Using the comma key, you can select mul-
tiple items in the object pane (or the third pane) and then have a single action operate on all of
them at the same time. Using this you can move several files to the trash at once or address a
new mail message to several different people.
Activate Quicksilver, select an item, type , (comma) and then select another item. You’ll see a collection of smaller icons accumulate at the bottom or left of the object pane. You can select as many items as you want. When you have them all,
tab to the action pane and continue as normal. If you have several collected you can type the
delete key to remove the last item collected (i.e., the last small icon).

Is there something similar in LaunchBar?
In other words, can one select multiple files (from different folders) and apply the same action/applescript to all of them at once?

Some of the other advantages of having this feature are:

when you collect multiple items, you can write an applescript which will process all but the last item(which should be a folder) and then move/copy those items to the last item.
e.g.
1. compress all the selected files and move the archive created to a folder
2. append text to all of them at once if they are all text files

(Please do not take my posts as Launchbar Vs. Quicksilver debate. Quicksilver is more or less out of development. So I have switched to Launchbar and I want to know if these things can be done with Launchbar)

FredSmith
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Comma trick

Post by FredSmith » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:14 pm

Hello there. Yes, seems a little quiet round here. Must be the weekend or something.

Anyway, Launchbar doesn't have the comma trick, but you may be able to get the same effect with ClipMerge.

Find your first item on the Launchbar and then hit command-c
Find your next item and hit command-c command-c (you should hear the sound of a stapler)
Find your third item and hit command-c command-c

Launchbar will now build a list of your copied items, which you can paste somewhere with command-v

Take a look at this page which will explain it slightly better.

http://www.obdev.at/resources/launchbar/help/ClipboardHistory.html

It's not quite as good as the comma trick, but it's fairly close.

iRounak
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by iRounak » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:36 pm

Hi,
Many thanks for the reply. That was a really valuable suggestion. You may not know how important the "comma" trick is for Quicksilver users.
Launchbar will now build a list of your copied items, which you can paste somewhere with command-v

Actually, if I press "Cmd+Shift+V", then all the three items will be selected in LaunchBar and that is exactly what comma trick in Quicksilver is all about.
It's not quite as good as the comma trick, but it's fairly close.

You are wrong. :) It is as good as the comma trick (but not as fast) in Quicksilver once you use "Cmd+Shift+V".

Just to give you an example of what can be done when you have collected multiple items:
You can write an applescript which can set all the selected items except the last one to a variable.
The last selected item should be a folder and the applescript should assign a second variable to refer to such folder.
Now you can make the applescript process the files and have them move/copy to that folder.
This is something I used a lot in Quicksilver, specially to fix some broken things like "Move To" action.
Last edited by iRounak on Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

halbtuerke

Post by halbtuerke » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:40 pm

This work great! Thanks for this tip.

knight777

Post by knight777 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:38 am

Is this a useful tip?

Yes.

Is it a real alternative to the Comma trick?

It really depends. At this point, I think that LB is the better product and if you don't really use the Comma trick often, these tips will work just fine.

But if you are a heavy user of the comma trick, you'll find yourself frustrated by how clunky this is in comparison. I have to respectfully disagree and say that this is a fine tip and useful info, but it is not as good as the Comma trick. There is no visual feedback (can't see what you've selected) and the number of keystrokes gets cumbersome quickly (more than double the required keys of the Comma trick). If you invoke the Comma trick 50 times a day, or regularly select more than 4-5 things at a time, you're seriously going to miss it in LB and wish for more.

That said, LB seems to get closer to an implementation to please us hard core Comma tricker users with every release and it is more stable and powerful than QS with an active dev team and a great community, so switch to LB and keep putting in the requests for it (in a nice, positive manner that tell the story of why its important to your workflow).

iRounak
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by iRounak » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:18 am

Is it a real alternative to the Comma trick?

I wrote this earlier:
It is as good as the comma trick (but not as fast) in Quicksilver

keep putting in the requests for it

I did that here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3468

aristidesfl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aristidesfl » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:35 am

Another vote for it

connorp

Post by connorp » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:03 am

Yet another vote for implementation of the comma trick.

Connor P

aekorps
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aekorps » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:30 am

Yet another vote for the comma trick from Quicksilver implemented in LaunchBar. Time to light a fire... :)

For anyone who wants the comma trick back, Quicksilver is back, fast and (as far as I've seen) stable under Snow Leopard and Lion. http://qsapp.com/

axolx

Post by axolx » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:57 pm

Launchbar devs -- The ability to select multiple files is really important. We'd love to see it implemented.

aekorps
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aekorps » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:01 pm

Please add this! This is a huge reason why I loved Quicksilver. Maybe you don't see the benefits of it, but being able to operate on multiple objects at once is a huge timesaver.

iaj

Post by iaj » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:08 pm

I agree, the comma-trick is one of the features of Quicksilver that won't let me switch totally to Launchbar, else
great product and great improvements. :)

iaj

Post by iaj » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:08 pm

sorry double post