Feature Request: Google Chrome/ Chromium

General discussions about LaunchBar
sjk
Wizard
Wizard

Re: Feature Request: Google Chrome/ Chromium

Post by sjk » Wed May 26, 2010 8:00 pm

It's not unusual that norbert doesn't acknowledge every LB-related topic, and lack of updates certainly hasn't made me concerned that its an abandoned product. :)

gbaby4ster

Post by gbaby4ster » Wed May 26, 2010 8:30 pm

Totally agree with this thread. Chrome is and will be my default browser for a long time, so I would really like for it to be compatible with launchbar.

gbaby4ster

Post by gbaby4ster » Fri May 28, 2010 1:20 am

Google Chrome mac just came out of Beta and now is being released as a stable release, so not there's not reason to not put it in.

waywalker

Post by waywalker » Mon May 31, 2010 4:33 am

I was able to put together a simple solution that automatically imports Chrome bookmarks into Launchbar.

In a nutshell, it consists of :
  • a command line utility that exports Chrome bookmarks into an html file
  • a Python script that converts the html file to UTF8 (required for Launchbar)
  • a cronjob entry that runs the export/conversion job as often as required
  • a "Custom HTML Bookmarks File" entry in Launchbar

Takes 5-10 minutes to configure.
Not sure if anyone is interested, but do let me know and I will publish it here 8)

ptujec
Wizard
Wizard

Post by ptujec » Mon May 31, 2010 8:55 am

waywalker wrote:...
Not sure if anyone is interested, but do let me know and I will publish it here 8)

Sure

sjk
Wizard
Wizard

Post by sjk » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:22 am

Maybe post it under LaunchBar Scripts, with a reference link to it here.

sgmiller
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sgmiller » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:50 pm

Just want to add my plea for Instant Send support for Chrome....only thing that stops me from switching.

waywalker

Post by waywalker » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:39 am

I posted the instructions on how to add Google Chrome bookmarks to LaunchBar 8)

sjk
Wizard
Wizard

Post by sjk » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:09 am

Thanks!

sgmiller
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sgmiller » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:39 am

Am I missing something or does this not pertain to Instant Send but only to Bookmarks??

tbergeron

Post by tbergeron » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:11 pm

I'm on the trial, I love launchbar but when I see a development team that doesn't work on their projects : I don't buy.

Please :) Just a little effort!

And don't tell me to make a script to export the history/bookmarks and run it via crontab : this is just plain dirty. (Sorry for the guy who made the script :))

Oh, and seriously, this topic has been opened for a year now and no dev has answered it!

Thanks

onewil

Post by onewil » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:05 am

First, there aren't too many Devs who answer every post in the forum. Not answering this one doesn't mean they are ignoring you. The LaunchBar crew is often very quiet between releases, and they haven't ever abandoned it. If you email them, they almost always respond the same day.

Second, I agree Chrome support would be key, I just migrated from Safari (as a test) so I'm using my Safari bookmarks (via LB) but opening them in Chrome, b/c of the default browser setting, but in the future I'd love Chrome support.

Third, I have a weird experience where, when I select "gmail" in LaunchBar, which points to "gmail.com" and opens in my default browser (Chrome), if Chrome is not open I first get a blank tab and then a new tab containing Gmail. This means I have 2 tabs open, the one left-most being an empty new tab. If I do the same thing with Safari set as default, I instead get the correct 1 new window, 1 tab with Gmail open. Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm on the Dev releases of Chrome, which are strange overall, but don't believe this setting should be related to that.

sj26

Post by sj26 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:38 am

onewil wrote:Third, I have a weird experience where, when I select "gmail" in LaunchBar, which points to "gmail.com" and opens in my default browser (Chrome), if Chrome is not open I first get a blank tab and then a new tab containing Gmail. This means I have 2 tabs open, the one left-most being an empty new tab. If I do the same thing with Safari set as default, I instead get the correct 1 new window, 1 tab with Gmail open. Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm on the Dev releases of Chrome, which are strange overall, but don't believe this setting should be related to that.

What is your "on startup" setting in Chrome's basic preferences? If you re-open tabs from last time and you closed it with no tabs it might still open an empty tab which is what you had open last time, then add the gmail window.

Also, I've sadly moved on to Quick Search Box which is under active development. It's still a little unstable, but it's getting there fast and has great potential... and plugins.

onewil

Post by onewil » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:15 pm

sj26 wrote:What is your "on startup" setting in Chrome's basic preferences? If you re-open tabs from last time and you closed it with no tabs it might still open an empty tab which is what you had open last time, then add the gmail window.

Also, I've sadly moved on to Quick Search Box which is under active development. It's still a little unstable, but it's getting there fast and has great potential... and plugins.

I have it set to "Open the home page, which is the default. Not sure if any of the others would be better, they don't seem to offer the functionality I'm looking for. Seems like this problem has to do with Chrome not taking outside inputs well. Actually, while a lot of Chrome's features I love, it has failed with my banking site, an airline, and a few others lately that reminds me of the early days with Safari, where I had to use FireFox for things like that. Those aren't good memories, so I'll probably be switching back shortly. It's a great thing, these days, to be able to use the default Mac browser almost anywhere, I don't miss the work-arounds.

Sorry to see you go. I tried out QSB for a few days but the couple of crashes and odd/slow behavior put me off. I'm pretty big on LaunchBar though, having been with it since version 2.

drylight
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by drylight » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:58 am

These sorts of requests would be helped if LaunchBar had an open API where people could write their own plugins. Like QuickSilver did and QSB does. Then someone would write a plugin which makes LB work better with Google Chrome (or any other application).

+1 for a plugin API